A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
This Saturday the Cox Plate 2013 will run as the last at Moonee Valley Racecourse, and in anticipation of the second Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival major below we take a look at some of the historical facts, stats and hoodoos on the barriers in this great weight-for-age clash.
There are a total of 14 starters plus a sole emergency making up the field for this year’s $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m), the spare Shamus Award drawn in barrier three.
Last seen running third in the $1 million Group 1 Caulfield Guineas (1600m), if the Danny O’Brien-trained Snitzel colt fails to gain a run then those horses drawn in barriers four to 15 will all come in one barrier.
With that in mind below, here are some important Cox Plate barrier facts and stats:
- Race favourite #13 Atlantic Jewel is drawn in barrier 7 (into 6) as selected bow owner Coolmore’s Michael Kirwan
- If Shamus Award gets a run barrier six will belong to #7 Rekindled Interest who was third in the race two years ago and unplaced last year
- The next best barriers with four winners each since 1983 are then seven and 11; they currently belong to #13 Atlantic Jewel (7) and #14 Long John but if the emergency comes out it will be #8 Puissance De Lune (8 into 7) and #1 Green Moon (12 into 11) that benefit from the historically favourable barriers
- The outside barrier belongs to #3 Fiorente (15 into 14) – barrier 14 has never produced a Cox Plate winner – who was the biggest post-barrier market drifter
- No Cox Plate winner has jumped from barrier 12 either which this year belongs currently to #1 Green Moon (12) but if the emergency comes out will belong to #11 It’s A Dundeel (13); or from barrier 8 (in the past 30 years) which currently belongs to #8 Puissance De Lune but will go to #4 Foreteller (barrier 9) if Shamus Award comes out
- The inside alley belongs on Saturday to #5 Side Glance (1) who is one of two international raiders this year
- The other is #10 Mull Of Killough (barrier 4 into 3)
- The only other runner aside form Side Glance whose barrier won’t be affected by the emergency coming in or out is then #2 Happy Trails (barrier 2)
Think you’ve already got the Cox Plate winner picked out and want to back them at the best prices down under?
Head to Ladbrokes.com.au and open your account with the online bookmaker gearing up to release their exclusive Double The Odds on the Cox Plate giving you the chance to win TWICE as much on your Cox Plate bets this weekend!
2013 Cox Plate Barriers
Saturday October 26, 2013 – Moonee Valley Race 10
|5||SIDE GLANCE (GB)||Andrew Balding||Craig Williams||1||59kg|
|2||HAPPY TRAILS||Byron Cozmanis||Dwayne Dunn||2||59kg|
|15e||SHAMUS AWARD||Danny O’Brien||Chad Schofield||3||49.5kg|
|10||MULL OF KILLOUGH (IRE)||Jane CHapple-Hyam||Steven Arnold||4||59kg|
|9||MASKED MARVEL (GB)||Robert Hickmott||Nick Hall / TBA||5||59kg|
|7||REKINDLED INTEREST||Jim Conlan||Mark Zahra||6||59kg|
|13||ATLANTIC JEWEL||Mark Kavanagh||Michael Rodd||7||57kg|
|8||PUISSANCE DE LUNE (IRE)||Darren Weir||Glen Boss / TBA||8||59kg|
|6||SEVILLE (GER)||Robert Hickmott||Hugh Bowman||10||59kg|
|14||LONG JOHN||Peter Snowden||Kerrin McEvoy||11||49.5kg|
|1||GREEN MOON (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Brett Prebble||12||59kg|
|11||IT’S A DUNDEEL (NZ)||Murray Baker||James McDonald||13||57.5kg|
|12||SUPER COOL||Mark Kavanagh||Corey Brown||14||57.5kg|
|3||FIORENTE (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||Blake Shinn||15||59kg|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.