Chris Waller’s flying three-year-old Zoustar has opened top of the 2013 Patinack Farm Classic odds for the Melbourne Cup Carnival classic at Flemington next month.
Held on the final day of the carnival, Emirates Stakes Day, on Saturday November 9 the $1 million Group 1 Patinack Farm Classic (1200m) is the last of the sprint majors for the season.
It is also a possible grand final aim for nicely-bred Northern Meteor colt Zoustar, the youngster proving a sprinter to watch.
Winner of the Group 1 Golden Rose Stakes (1400m) last month when overcoming the ‘visitor’s’ gate 16 of 16, Zoustar relished a step back to 1200m last weekend.
In a barnstorming effort the up-and-comer blitzed their rivals by a minimum four and a half lengths to win the Group 2 Roman Consul Stakes (1200m).
Waller confirmed their big goal was the $500,000 Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) on Victoria Derby Day.
The Patinack Farm Classic then runs just seven days later, and while Waller is yet to decide whether they will shoot for the Coolmore – Patinack double, the bookies are taking zero chances.
Zoustar then is leading the early Patinack Farm Classic betting markets at a quote of $5.50 as one of three single figure chances.
Second pick at $7.50 is then Hong Kong star Lucky Nine, the multiple Group 1 champion set to make their Australian debut on Friday October 25 in the $1 million Group 1 Manikato Stakes (1200m) under the lights at Moonee Valley.
The Caspar Fownes-trained Dubawi gelding was last seen winning the Group 1 KrisFlyer International Sprint (1200m) in Singapore where they easily defeated Aussie raider Bel Sprinter.
Occupying the third line of Patinack Farm Classic odds is then Mick Price’s in-form More Than Ready mare Samaready at $8.
One of the top three-year-olds from last season, proven by her third in the Golden Slipper behind Pierro, Samaready is undefeated as a four-year-old having won both of her starts including the Group 1 Moir Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on September 27.
Other notable hopes at the top end of betting then include:
- Rebel Dane ($10) – California Dane stallion with an ultra-consistent record, Group 1 winner too now after beating a top field in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes over 1400m at Caulfield last month
- Buffering ($11) – Could this be Australia’s unluckiest horse when it comes to winning a Group 1? They’ve had 17 starts at elite level for 10 minor placings, including their Moir Stakes second last start, but zero Group 1 wins to date
- Bel Sprinter ($12) – Group 1 The Galaxy winner from March, brave third to super mare Black Caviar in the TJ Smith Stakes after that before the Jason Warren-trained six-year-old went overseas for their KrisFlyer second, back home first-up in the Moir ran sixth with improvement to come
- Arinosa ($13) – Chris Waller-trained grey in flying autumn form, bought that through to the spring too it seems after their Group 2 Premiere Stakes win first-up at Randwick last weekend
- Shamexpress ($13) – Danny O’Brien’s O’Reilly four-year-old won the Group 1 Newmarket Handicap at Flemington back in March, failed in two runs in England when taken overseas during our winter, yet to race again down under but has class
In a wide open market until the star sprinters for the season emerge via lead-ups like the Manikato, there are then five other hopefuls under $20 with the Gerald Ryan-trained Snitzerland ($14), dual Group 1 winner in Adelaide Platelet ($15), Waller’s Epsom Handicap champion Boban ($16), Rupert Clarke runner-up Fontelina ($18) and the Peter Moody-trained Moment Of Change ($18).
See below for the top 26 Patinack Farm Classic fancies at this stage of the season, prices you can lock in now online at our preferred online betting agency Ladbrokes.com.au.
Right now is the ideal time to discover the benefits of betting online as Ladbrokes.com.au are rewarding new depositing players with a $500 bonus welcome bet!
2013 Patinack Farm Classic Odds
Flemington Racecourse – 09/11/2013
|MOMENT OF CHANGE||18.00|
|BETTER THAN READY||31.00|
|ECLAIR BIG BANG||34.00|
*Odds are all-in, Top 26 only from Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change