The 2013 Epsom Handicap is the namesake race of Epsom Day at Royal Randwick this Saturday, and to help you back the winner of the mile classic below is the Races.com.au team’s insider form guide analysis and betting preview on the race.
One of three elite levels highlighting a massive all-stakes-race program in Sydney on the weekend, the $500,000 Group 1 The Star Epsom (1600m) is set to steal the show as Race 7 at 4:05pm (AEST).
A crack field of 17 are engaged in the field, Epsom Handicap betting currently co-lead by equal $5 favourites Toydini and Boban.
Guy Walter’s last start Cameron Handicap winner Toydini has eased out in the markets from their opening quote of $4.80 after drawing wide in gate 14.
Chris Waller’s fellow Bernardini four-year-old Boban meanwhile has been well backed by the Epsom punters firming in from $5.50 to $5 to now share top spot in the odds.
They are going to relish their 53kg light weight on the weekend and come off back-to-back Sydney wins, the most recent being over Belltone when carrying 54.5kg to victory in the Bill Ritchie Handicap here at Randwick.
The other major chances?
The bookies rate the form of Walter’s other runner with triple Group 1 winning mare Streama ($6.50) coming off a great George Main Stakes victory at the track and distance, and the Gai Waterhouse-trained Ecuador who continues to firm now into $7.
This is what the Epsom Handicap odds say but there’s plenty to consider before placing your bets including the full betting history, race form guide and statistics.
So having gone over everything, below are our must know Epsom Handicap facts.
2013 Epsom Handicap Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Epsom Handicap winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Fat Al who jumped from barrier 6 (of 15) with Tommy Berry riding on the 52kg minimum coming off a Shannon Stakes third and before that a Theo Marks second
- This year the race’s equally most successful trainer Waterhouse is back after her eighth Epsom win (which would make her the most successful surpassing her father TJ Smith also with seven) with #15 Ashokan ($101), #16 Ecuador ($7) and #17 Spurtonic ($26)
- Tommy Berry will vie for back-to-back Epsoms this year with the ride on Waterhouse’s top chance #16 Ecuador from gate 13
- The barrier Fat Al won from 12 months ago (6) this year belongs to #12 Belltone ($101) who is out to become the fourth to win from the barrier since 1983
- The most successful Epsom Handicap barriers in the past 30 years have been 7 and 8 with four wins each; this year those gates belong to #11 Lidari ($16) and #14 Your Honour ($26) respectively
- Seven in the field this year will be third-up like Fat Al was last year with #1 Sincero (X08), #3 Sacred Falls (X47), #6 Toydini (X51), #7 Riva De Lago (X81), #10 Boban (X11), #11 Lidari (X13) and #13 Scream Machine (X03)
- Fat Al’s last Epsom lead-up was the Shannon Stakes and horses coming via that race this year are #15 Ashokan (4th) and #14 Your Honour (6th)
- However the most telling Epsom lead-up has been the George Main Stakes which has produced four Epsom Handicap winners in the last 10 years
- Just one of those however completed the double with Racing To Win in 2006
- This year horses coming via the George Main are #5 Streama (1st) looking for the double, #2 Veyron (3rd) and #1 Sincero (8th)
- Along with #5 Streama (Group 1 George Main Stakes, 1600m, Randwick, 21/09/2013) the other last start winners are #6 Toydini (Group 3 Cameron Handicap, 1500m, Newcastle, 18/09/2013), #7 Riva De Lago (Group 2 Theo Marks Stakes, 1400m, Rosehill, 14/09/2013) and #10 Boban (Group 3 Bill Ritchie Handicap, 1400m, Randwick, 21/09/2013)
- Favourites have a poor recent record in the Epsom Handicap with just two wins in the past 10 years; #10 Boban and #6 Toydini are currently equal $5 favourites out to break the hoodoo
- Horses with a nice Randwick track record include #1 Sincero (6-2-0-0) and #5 Streama (6-4-0-0)
- Over the mile those with nice form include #1 Sincero (5-2-0-0), #2 Veyron (13-5-3-1), #3 Sacred Falls (4-2-0-0) and #16 Ecuador (4-2-2-0)
- The three boasting a previous win over the Track & Distance are then #3 Sacred Falls (2-1-0-0), #5 Streama (3-2-0-0) and #6 Toydini (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider Epsom Handicap betting tips to be published soon.
In the meantime why not check out all the weekend’s racing markets open online now at Ladbrokes.com.au where first-time depositing customers are eligible for a juicy $500 bonus welcome bet!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change