Recently inducted Hall Of Fame trainer Chris...
This Friday night under the lights at the prestigious Moonee Valley Racecourse a collection of the country’s best sprinters will look to fill the gap left by the retirement of the undefeated sprint queen Black Caviar when they face off in the 2013 Moir Stakes.
Keeping the crowds around until late this year’s $450,000 Group 1 Programmed Moir Stakes (1200m), elevated from a Group 2 earlier in the year, runs as the last on the program at 10:00pm (AEST).
Ten gallopers make up the field and the increase to a Group 1 race has certainly drawn the class competitors looking to make their stamp on the spring sprints.
After big money has rolled in for them, the latest Moir Stakes betting markets now have Bel Sprinter installed as the $4 favourite at Ladbrokes.com.au.
It’s a big change as they opened at around $4.60 trailing the defending Rob Heathcote-trained champ Buffering ($4.20 now out to $4.40) and Snitzerland ($4.20 now out to $4.60) who have both eased out in the odds.
The Jason Warren-trained Bel Sprinter meanwhile continues to gain support as they back-up from a one run Singapore campaign when second to Hong Kong star Lucky Nine, who they will meet again in next month’s Manikato Stakes, in the Group 1 KrisFlyer International Sprint.
But with so many other talented hopes in the mix including Peter Snowden’s under-the-radar stallion Epaulette ($4.80), the Peter Moody-trained Moment Of Change who won the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes this time last year and former Blue Diamond winner Samaready ($8) this is a wide open affair.
To help you uncover where the value is at, who you should back and which shorties to sack we’ve gone over the entire field, form and history to come up with the below must know Moir Stakes facts.
2013 Moir Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Moir Stakes winner was the Rob Heathcote-trained Queenslander Buffering (when it was run as a Group 2) who won first-up from barrier 2 (of 8) with Hugh Bowman aboard
- This year #1 Buffering ($4.40) is back to defend their title drawn in gate six (of 10) with Damian Browne riding and they are first-up again boasting an excellent fresh record of four wins from five starts
- Buffering (2012) was the third horse in the past 13 years to win the Moir first-up along with Miss Andretti (2007) and Our Egyptian Raine (2003)
- Others resuming on Friday night looking to continue that trend are #2 Epaulette ($4.80), #3 Bel Sprinter ($4F), #6 Conservatorium ($41) and #9 Snitzerland ($4.60)
- Last year’s winning barrier (2) meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #7 Le Bonsir ($51) and has produced five wins in the past 30 years making it the second most successful Moir Stakes gate in that time
- The most successful since 1983 has been barrier three with six wins while gate seven with four is also worth a note which belong this year to #9 Snitzerland (barrier three) and #10 Samaready (barrier seven)
- Interesting to note here that overall 14 of the past 30 Moir Stakes winners jumped from barriers 1 – 3
- Gates 9 – 13 have only produced one winner each, as has gate four making the task harder this year for #2 Epaulette (barrier four), #8 Captain Fancypantz (barrier nine) and #5 Genral Truce (barrier 10)
- #7 Le Bonsir is also one of two last start winners vying for back-to-back wins along with #10 Samaready ($8)
- Mares have a good recent record in the race winning five times since 2000; this year there are two mares in the mix with #9 Snitzerland and #10 Samaready
- The best Win Rate of the field belongs to one of the mares too with #9 Snitzerland (50%) followed by #3 Bel Sprinter (43.75%) and #2 Epaulette (41.67%)
- The highest Place Rate then belongs to #10 Samaready (85.71%) followed by #4 Moment Of Change (78.57%)
- Favourites have a 50% strike rate in the Moir over the past decade with 5 wins in the last 10 years; this year’s favourite is #3 Bel Sprinter ($4)
- #3 Bel Sprinter will also be ridden by the most successful Moir Stakes jockey in history Damien Oliver who has enjoyed four wins from 12 rides since 1983
- At Moonee Valley the horses with the best track record are #1 Buffering (5-2-0-1), #3 Bel Sprinter (3-2-0-0), #5 General Truce (9-2-3-3), #7 Le Bonsir (5-3-0-1) and #9 Snitzerland (1-1-0-0)
- Eight of the 10 in the field have a great record over the 1200m with: #1 Buffering (21-7-5-3-), #2 Epaulette (6-2-2-1), #4 Moment Of Change (5-2-1-1), #6 Conservatorium (13-5-2-0), #7 Le Bonsir (11-5-2-2), #8 Captain Fancypantz (7-3-0-0), #9 Snitzerland (10-5-1-0) and #10 Samaready (3-2-0-1)
- Defending champ #1 Buffering (4-1-0-1) is one of three in the race with a previous win over the Track & Distance along with #7 Le Bonsir (5-3-0-1) and #9 Snitzerland (1-1-0-0)
- Looking further back however over the past 30 years only 9 favourites have saluted for the punters
- Seven of the past 13 AJ Moir Stakes winners came through the Group 2 Schillaci Stakes however that form cannot be compared this year with the rescheduling of the race seeing it now run two weeks before the Schillaci (October 12)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Moir Stakes 2013 betting tips to be published shortly.
Already made your selections and want to lock them in at the guaranteed best prices? Visit Ladbrokes.com.au for access to all the weekend’s hottest markets as well as a $250 bonus welcome bet if you’re new to sign-up and deposit!
2013 Moir Stakes Field & Form Guide
Moonee Valley Race 8 – 10:00pm (AEST) – 27/09/2013
|1.||BUFFERING||R L Heathcote||Damian Browne||6||58.5||6yoG||111||$74,291||34: 12 8 5||35.29%||73.53%||x1432x|
|2.||EPAULETTE||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||4||58.5||4yoH||111||$142,396||12: 5 2 2||41.67%||75.00%||x2610x|
|3.||BEL SPRINTER||Jason Warren||Damien Oliver||1||58.5||6yoG||131||$55,403||16: 7 2 1||43.75%||62.50%||9x132x|
|4.||MOMENT OF CHANGE||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||8||58.5||5yoG||13||$52,242||14: 5 3 3||35.71%||78.57%||2205×2|
|5.||GENERAL TRUCE||Ricky Maund||Nicholas Hall||10||58.5||6yoG||13||$17,462||44: 8 7 10||18.18%||56.82%||119643|
|6.||CONSERVATORIUM||G D Kennewell||Joe Bowditch||5||58.5||6yoG||97||$19,694||26: 7 5 1||26.92%||50.00%||52212x|
|7.||LE BONSIR||M G Price||Michael Walker||2||58.5||6yoG||13||$14,668||20: 8 4 2||40.00%||70.00%||163×11|
|8.||CAPTAIN FANCYPANTZ||Cameron Templeton||Damian Lane||9||58.5||5yoG||30||$5,933||10: 4 0 1||40.00%||50.00%||141653|
|9.||SNITZERLAND||G A Ryan||Dwayne Dunn||3||56.5||4yoM||153||$109,893||14: 7 3 0||50.00%||71.43%||6x127x|
|10.||SAMAREADY||M G Price||Craig Newitt||7||56.5||4yoM||27||$187,471||7: 5 0 1||71.43%||85.71%||13x4x1|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.