Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival action hits a new high on Saturday with a major Cox Plate and Spring Cups lead-up running at Caulfield Racecourse, a complete 2013 Underwood Stakes form guide and betting analysis detailed right here.
To keep the punters tuned in until the very end Racing Victoria has this year scheduled the $400,000 Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) to run as Race 9 at 4:55pm (AEST) as the last on the card.
It’s worth hanging around for too with a 14-horse field of turf greats in the mix.
Odds-on favourite in the Underwood Stakes odds at a quote of $1.50 is Mark Kavanagh’s star mare Atlantic Jewel who is out to extend her undefeated career record to 10 on the trot.
She’s in the perfect position to do so too having drawn mid-field with barrier seven and her regular jockey Michael Rodd maintaining his association.
Winner of the Memsie Stakes first-up off a lengthy spell having missed over a year of racing due to a tendon injury, the now triple Group 1 champ had an easy kill against a field of Group 2 mares last weekend at Moonee Valley.
She’s on a short seven-day back-up and faces a much tougher field here but still looks the one to beat.
The only other runner under double figures in the Underwood Stakes betting is then the Darren Weir-trained Puissance De Lune ($8.50), the super consistent stayer steady favourite to continue on and win the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) on the first Tuesday of November.
Others at better odds out for a big upset in the Underwood Stakes results on the weekend are then the likes of Cox Plate-bound four-time Group 1 winner It’s A Dundeel ($11), Lloyd Williams’ top import Sea Moon ($13) and last start Makybe Diva Stakes champ Foreteller ($21).
But there’s more than just the Underwood Stakes betting markets to consider.
There’s also the history and stats which is why we’ve come up with the below must know Underwood Stakes 2013 facts.
2013 Underwood Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Underwood Stakes winner was Gary Hennessy’s New Zealand raider Ocean Park who won second-up in their first Australian run for the season from barrier five (of 14) with Glen Boss aboard
- This year #11 It’s A Dundeel ($11) is looking to go back-to-back for the Kiwi visitors and who is also second-up after their fourth to Atlantic Jewel in the Memsie
- There are plenty of runners that will be two runs in like Ocean Park was last year including #1 Green Moon ($26), #2 Manighar ($34), #3 Mr Moet ($41), #6 Ethiopia ($41), #7 Sea Moon ($13), #9 Walkdpark ($61), #13 Silent Achiever ($41) and #14 Dear Demi ($71)
- There are then two last start winners in the mix with #4 Foreteller (Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes, 1600m, Flemington, 07/09/2013) and #12 Atlantic Jewel
- Last year’s winning jockey Glen Boss meanwhile will be after his second straight Underwood trophy this year with #8 Puissance De Lune ($8.50)
- Barrier five, which Ocean Park jumped from to win last year, meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #7 Sea Moon – the gate having produced just the one winner in the past 30 years
- The most successful Underwood Stakes barrier in that time with five wins is barrier 7 which #12 Atlantic Jewel ($1.50) will jump from this year
- The other best barriers statistically speaking are then 4 and 6 with four wins each belonging this year to #5 Happy Trails ($41) and #14 Dear Demi ($71)
- Favourites meanwhile have won three of the past 10 editions of the race with #12 Atlantic Jewel odds-on this year
- #12 Atlantic Jewel also boasts the best record at the track with three wins from as many starts including two Group 1’s – this year’s Memsie and the 2011 Thousand Guineas
- At Caulfield other horses with a previous win are #2 Manighar (5-1-0-1), #4 Foreteller (3-2-0-0), #5 Happy Trails (4-1-1-0) and #8 Puissance De Lune (1-1-0-0)
- Over the distance horses with the best record are then #4 Foreteller (6-3-1-0), #8 Puissance De Lune (3-1-1-0), #9 Waldpark (1-1-0-0) and #11 It’s A Dundeel (1-1-0-0)
- There is then just one horse with a previous win at the Track & Distance with #4 Foreteller (1-1-0-0)
- The form on #4 Foreteller is also good as the Makybe Diva Stakes which they won last start has been the best guide to the race producing six of the past 11 Underwood Stakes winners
- The highest Win Rate of the field obviously belongs to the undefeated #12 Atlantic Jewel (100%) with the next best being #11 It’s A Dundeel (61.54%), #8 Puissance De Lune (53.33%) and #7 Sea Moon (45.45%)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Underwood Stakes 2013 tips and exotic selections to be published shortly.
In the meantime why not check out all the weekend’s best racing and sports markets open online at Ladbrokes.com.au where you’ll be eligible for a bonus bet valued up to $250 simply by opening an account and making your first deposit!
2013 Underwood Stakes Field & Form Guide
Caulfield Race 9 – 4:55pm (AEST) – 21/09/2013
|1.||GREEN MOON||Robert Hickmott||Brett Prebble||10||59||7yoH||21||$220,059||23: 7 3 0||30.43%||43.48%||1x44x5|
|2.||MANIGHAR||P G Moody||Daniel Stackhouse||3||59||8yoG||14||$96,524||38: 10 7 5||26.32%||57.89%||4742×6|
|3.||MR MOET||A G Durrant||Damien Oliver||13||59||6yoG||14||$46,861||31: 12 7 3||38.71%||70.97%||2326×9|
|4.||FORETELLER||C J Waller||Craig Newitt||11||59||7yoG||14||$38,417||33: 10 3 1||30.30%||42.42%||522×81|
|5.||HAPPY TRAILS||Paul Beshara||Dwayne Dunn||4||59||6yoG||21||$36,247||35: 5 6 6||14.29%||48.57%||903×57|
|6.||ETHIOPIA||P G Carey||Rhys Mc Leod||1||59||5yoG||14||$113,980||10: 1 1 2||10.00%||40.00%||40x0x5|
|7.||SEA MOON||Robert Hickmott||Craig Williams||5||59||6yoH||14||$93,418||11: 5 2 1||45.45%||72.73%||1158×0|
|8.||PUISSANCE DE LUNE||D K Weir||Glen Boss||14||59||6yoH||14||$45,233||15: 8 4 0||53.33%||80.00%||1x1x12|
|9.||WALDPARK||Anthony Freedman||Ben Melham||9||59||5yoH||14||$33,427||16: 4 5 0||25.00%||56.25%||4x22x8|
|10.||MY QUEST FOR PEACE||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||2||59||6yoH||21||$30,147||16: 5 1 2||31.25%||50.00%||50×700|
|11.||IT’S A DUNDEEL||M P Baker||James Mc Donald||12||58||4yoH||21||$164,243||13: 8 2 0||61.54%||76.92%||1112×4|
|12.||ATLANTIC JEWEL||M A Kavanagh||Michael Rodd||7||57||5yoM||7||$141,547||9: 9 0 0||100.00%||100.00%||x11x11|
|13.||SILENT ACHIEVER||R A James||Steven Arnold||8||57||5yoM||21||$63,525||18: 6 3 2||33.33%||61.11%||4524×0|
|14.||DEAR DEMI||C E Conners||Brad Rawiller||6||56||4yoM||14||$62,108||24: 6 4 4||25.00%||58.33%||2167×7|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change