Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Gai Waterhouse’s progressive three-year-old Equator has opened narrow favourite in a tight market to win the 2013 Spring Stakes at Newcastle this afternoon.
Running as Newcastle Race 6 at 4:05pm (AEST) the $150,000 Group 3 Coca-Cola Spring Stakes (1600m) field is down to 14 runners following the early withdrawal of #3 Stamina.
The bookies are having a hard time separating those still in contention with half the field under $10 in the latest Spring Stakes odds.
Heading the betting at $5 is early market mover Equator, Nash Rawiller’s mount to jump from gate five.
Third to Guelph in the Group 1 Champagne Stakes (1600m) last April after winning their opening two career starts, the Northern Meteor gelding resumed on August 31.
Their first-up run only produced a ninth to Va Pensiero in the Group 3 Run To The Rose (1200m), an effort they’re tipped to improve on when they go back up to the mile today.
Occupying the second line of Spring Stakes betting at $6 is then Hooked, John Thompson’s improving Casino Prince colt coming off an eye-catching fourth in the Group 3 Ming Dynasty (1400m) at Randwick from September 7.
The other single figure hopes are then:
- #7 Savvy Nature ($6.50) – John O’Shea-trained Savabeel gelding won on debut at Kembla Grange before a Canterbury second as the beaten odds-on favourite to Romantic Touch, most recently ran third at Rosehill in a good field
- #8 Happy Clapper ($7) – Trained by Patrick Webster at Randwick fourth in the same Benchmark 75 at Rosehill Savvy Nature was third in, could be the benchmark for this, before that second to Aussies Love Sport who went on to win the Ming Dynasty
- #14 Wordplay ($7.50) – Lightly-raced Fastnet Rock filly stepping up for just the third time, has shown lots already however improving on a second on debut to win their last start at Warwick Farm over 1400m with more to come
- #1 Fuerza ($8) – Bjorn Baker’s well tried Snippetson colt gets the rails run from barrier one with champion hoop Jim Cassidy aboard, last start was a 3YO Maiden win at Newcastle from the start of the month over the mile, odds-on there and while go up in class their ability of the distance bodes well
- #2 Vilanova ($8) – Commands colt from the top Sydney stables of Chris Waller, showed lots as a two-year-old in Brisbane with a succession of Group placings including their BRC Sires Produce second and were fourth in the Group 1 JJ Atkins over the Eagle Farm mile, came back and looked nice when third in the Up & Coming Stakes but something went amiss in the Ming Dynasty when 10th, looking to improve
Check out the full Spring Stakes 2013 odds below, prices you can lock in online now at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Don’t have a Ladbrokes.com.au account but want to get in on the action? Join today in their easy sign-up section and start enjoying the benefits right away with their $250 bonus welcome bet!
2013 Spring Stakes Odds
Newcastle Race 6 – 4:05pm (AEST) – 18/09/2013
|5||DOWDSTOWN CHARLIE (14)||21.00|
|7||SAVVY NATURE (6)||6.50|
|8||HAPPY CLAPPER (3)||7.00|
|9||DARCI MAGIC (10)||41.00|
|11||EAGLE SHAMAN (11)||31.00|
|12||SINGING FLAME (2)||31.00|
*Fixed Win odds provided by Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.