This Saturday the action of the Sydney Spring Racing Carnival really heats up with the three-year-olds taking centre stage at Rosehill Gardens in the Golden Rose 2013– the Races.com.au team’s insider form guide and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Running as Rosehill Race 7 at 4:30pm (AEST) this year’s $1 million Group 1 De Bortoli Wines Golden Rose Stakes (1400m) features a star-studded field of 17 hopeful youngsters.
Early favourite but a market drifter at $4.60 in the Golden Rose odds is the Caulfield Cup hopeful Prince Harada.
The untapped Tony Vasil-trained Haradasun colt has one two from three to date, their last effort being a luckless second in the Group 3 HDF McNeil Stakes (1200m).
Interference cost them the win at Caulfield a fortnight ago according to many and on Saturday they get the chance to atone when they line-up against the David Hayes-trained McNeil Stakes winner Fast ‘N’ Rocking again in the Rose.
Seemingly the forgotten horse in this race, Hayes’ Fastnet Rock colt occupies the second line of Golden Rose betting at a quote of $5.50 having drawn gate five with Singapore-based Brett Prebble in the saddle.
Other top fancies include Anthony Cummings’ fellow son of Fastnet Rock Cluster ($8.50), the promising Chris Waller-trained Zoustar ($10) with the extreme outside barrier to overcome, Cummings’ other runner Drago ($11) who will need the pace on in this big field and the Peter Snowden-trained Golden Slipper runner-up Sidestep ($13).
This is what the Golden Rose odds say, but what about history and the form guide?
Having gone over the full 2013 Golden Rose field, form and statistics below we’ve come up with the must know facts and stats on the race to help you back a winner at Ladbrokes.com.au on the weekend.
2013 Golden Rose Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Golden Rose winner was the Peter Snowden-trained Epaulette who won the race second-up on the back of a Run To The Rose third with Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle from barrier 8 (of 10)
- This year Snowden will vie for back-to-back wins and his fourth win from 12 runners in the past 30 years with #1 Sidestep (barrier three) who will be ridden by last year’s winning hoop McEvoy
- Like their famous stablemate, Sidestep goes into the Rose on the back of a Run To The Rose start but they failed in that assignment when dead last finishing nearly 10 lengths off the winner in 14th
- Other 2013 Golden Rose hopes that came via the traditional lead-up race include Dissident (2nd), Marseille Roulette (3rd), Zoustar (4th), Cluster (5th), Windjammer (6th), Into The Red (7th) and Eurozone (8th)
- Barrier eight from which Epaulette was successful from last year meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #14 Thermal Current ($18), one of two chances for Peter Moody
- Epaulette however was one of only two horses to win the Golden Rose, previously known as the Peter Pan Stakes, from barrier eight in the past three decades
- The most successful Golden Rose barrier in that time meanwhile has been 11 with four winners which belongs this year to #7 Windjammer ($26)
- The other best barriers statistics wise with three winners each are then 1, 2 and 9 which were drawn this year by #13 Prince Harada ($4.60 favourite), #8 Eurozone ($18) and #17 Marseille Roulette ($51) respectively
- Five of the past seven Golden Rose winners since the race reached Group 1 status came off a last start victory
- There are three last start winners in this year’s Golden Rose field with #2 Fast ‘N’ Rocking (Group 3 HDF McNeil Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 31/08/2013), #6 Aussies Love Sport (Group 3 Ming Dynasty Quality 1400m, Randwick, 07/09/2013) and #12 War (Group 3 Up And Coming Stakes, 1300m, Warwick Farm, 24/08/2013) – the latter duo two of trainer Gai Waterhouse’s five chances
- Of those the best form history wise is on #12 War ($31) as three of the last six Golden Rose winners also had their last run in the Up And Coming Stakes three weeks before
- The Golden Rose hopes with the highest Win Rates this year are #8 Eurozone ($18) and #9 Pitcrew ($41) with 75% followed by #13 Prince Harada (66.67%) and #4 Zoustar (60%)
- As for the Place Percentages, two are yet to finish out of the money with #13 Prince Harada (100%) and #14 Thermal Current (100%)
- Favourites have only won two of the past 10 Golden Roses, this year’s favourite being #13 Prince Harada ($4.60) who is out to become the 10th to salute for the punters in the past 30 years
- Horses with the best record at the track are #3 Criterion (5-2-0-1), #1 Sidestep (5-1-1-0), #7 Windjammer (6-1-1-1), #11 Bull Point (3-1-2-0), #9 Pitcrew (1-1-0-0), #6 Aussies Love Sport (2-1-0-0), #8 Eurozone (2-1-0-0), #10 Drago (2-1-0-0) and #7 Marseille Roulette (2-1-0-1)
- Three from the field meanwhile have won over the 1400m before with #4 Zoustar (1-1-0-0), #6 Aussies Love Sport (3-2-0-1) and #9 Pitcrew (2-2-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Golden Rose tips to be published shortly.
Already picked out your selections and want to lock them in at the best prices? Head straight to Ladbrokes.com.au and get in on the action at Australia’s premier betting site with their excellent $250 match deposit bonus bet offer!
2013 Golden Rose Field & Form Guide
Rosehill Race 7 – 4:30pm (AEST) – 14/09/2013
|1.||SIDESTEP||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||3||56.5||3yoC||14||$113,393||7: 1 2 1||14.29%||57.14%||L12x40|
|2.||FAST ‘N’ ROCKING||D A Hayes||Brett Prebble||5||56.5||3yoC||14||$56,400||9: 1 3 0||11.11%||44.44%||255×21|
|3.||CRITERION||David Payne||Christian Reith||6||56.5||3yoC||14||$64,421||7: 3 0 1||42.86%||57.14%||1166×0|
|4.||ZOUSTAR||C J Waller||Jimmy Cassidy||17||56.5||3yoC||14||$75,216||5: 3 1 0||60.00%||80.00%||11124|
|5.||DISSIDENT||P G Moody||Tim Clark||14||56.5||3yoC||14||$30,200||5: 1 2 1||20.00%||80.00%||137×22|
|6.||AUSSIES LOVE SPORT||Ms G Waterhouse||Jason Collett||16||56.5||3yoC||7||$28,549||6: 2 1 1||33.33%||66.67%||4×4311|
|7.||WINDJAMMER||Bjorn Baker||Nathan Berry||11||56.5||3yoC||14||$20,594||8: 1 1 1||12.50%||37.50%||90×136|
|8.||EUROZONE||Bart and James Cumming||Joshua Parr||2||56.5||3yoC||14||$39,970||4: 3 0 0||75.00%||75.00%||1118|
|9.||PITCREW||Ms G Waterhouse||Blake Shinn||4||56.5||3yoG||21||$43,408||4: 3 0 0||75.00%||75.00%||1114|
|10.||DRAGO||A J Cummings||Peter Robl||13||56.5||3yoC||21||$28,100||5: 1 1 0||20.00%||40.00%||6441×2|
|11.||BULL POINT||Ms G Waterhouse||Glyn Schofield||12||56.5||3yoC||14||$28,650||5: 2 2 0||40.00%||80.00%||12142|
|12.||WAR||Ms G Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||10||56.5||3yoC||21||$32,083||3: 1 1 0||33.33%||66.67%||2×61|
|13.||PRINCE HARADA||A J Vasil||Hugh Bowman||1||56.5||3yoC||14||$28,500||3: 2 1 0||66.67%||100.00%||112|
|14.||THERMAL CURRENT||P G Moody||Brad Rawiller||8||56.5||3yoC||14||$16,400||5: 1 2 2||20.00%||100.00%||23×213|
|15.||INTO THE RED||K C Wood||Michael Cahill||15||56.5||3yoC||14||$11,083||3: 1 0 0||33.33%||33.33%||6×17|
|16.||CLUSTER||A J Cummings||James Mc Donald||7||56.5||3yoC||14||$9,317||3: 0 1 0||0.00%||33.33%||6×25|
|17.||MARSEILLE ROULETTE||Ms G Waterhouse||Kathy O’Hara||9||56.5||3yoC||14||$47,750||4: 1 0 1||25.00%||50.00%||177×3|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are from Ladbrokes.com.au and are subject to change