Marc Quinn’s Ramornie Handicap placegetter Pentasia has opened top of the 2013 July Sprint odds to win the feature race in Sydney this weekend.
The in-form Pentire mare has been in top form over the past 12 months winning five of her 10 most recent runs including the Listed Chief De Beers (1100m) first-up in Brisbane in May.
Last seen running third behind Youthful Jack in the Listed Ramornie Handicap (1200m) at Grafton Pentasia now races at Royal Randwick for the first time in Saturday’s $85,000 Young Professionals In Racing July Sprint (1200m).
While not holding black type status the July Sprint is still shaping up as a crack weekend race to enjoy a punt on with 11 smart sprinters engaged to face off in Rosehill Race 6.
Pentasia heads the markets at bookmaker.com.au after her brave Ramornie run where she jumped from barrier 12 of 13, the $4.50 favourite and early market mover set to get a better run from gate eight with Christian Reith retaining the ride.
The bookies are having a hard time separating this year’s July Sprint field too with six of the remaining 10 hopefuls also under $10 in the markets with:
- #11 Soledad ($6) – Commands four-year-old from the stables of Peter Snowden, was a first-up sixth in the Ramornie with improvement to come off that, no official starts at Randwick and go better over a bit more ground but get in on the 54kg minimum
- #8 My Destiny ($7.50) – Another one getting in well with the weights (55.5kg), Tommy Berry to ride this Stratum five-year-old who is also second-up, formerly with Con Karakatsanis but spent nearly a year and a half on the sidelines before their most recent run
- #2 See The World ($8) – Classy galloper with gun drawn (barrier three) and ace hoop (Nash Rawiller) but big weight (59kg), Joe Pride’s Group performer hasn’t’ run since a disappointing seventh in the Civic Stakes but go back to the 1200m here which could work in their favour
- #1 Havana Rey ($8.50) – Bjorn Baker-trained topweight carries 60.5kg here from barrier four with Hugh Bowman to ride, hasn’t run since their 15th in the Group 3 Doncaster Prelude (1600m) here back in April from a wide gate, won the Group 2 Ajax Stakes (1500m) before that at Rosehill, classy but think weight and distance will work against them
- #6 Griffon ($9) – Rob Heathcote’s veteran Brisbane visitor was a last start second to Doubtfilly in the Listed Ascot Handicap (1200m) at Eagle Farm at the start of the month, also Group 2 QTC Cupu third earlier in the winter, may be a rising eight-year-old but racing with zest and the 55.5kg is manageable while barrier two is ideal
- #7 Master Harry ($9) – Local Magic Albert stallion formerly prepared in Melbourne by Peter Moody, Group 2 winner back in 2011 and did win their first race in a while at Rosehill two back but think they might be outclassed here
Just outside the single-figure fancies at $11 and also worth a mention is then Ramornie Handicap winner Youthful Jack who looks a nice price to go two on the trot despite the weight increase from 55kg to 59kg.
The full July Sprint odds are detailed below, prices courtesy of our No. 1 recommended bookie bookmaker.com.au.
Want to get in on the weekend’s racing and betting action but don’t have a bookmaker.com.au account?
It only takes a few minutes to sign-up with this 100 percent Australian owned and trusted bookie who will also match your first deposit dollar for dollar up to $500 when you quote the code BONUSBET!
2013 July Sprint Odds
Randwick Race 6 – 3:30pm (AEST) – 27/07/2013
|1||HAVANA REY (4)||8.50|
|2||SEE THE WORLD (3)||8.00|
|3||YOUTHFUL JACK (1)||11.00|
|4||BORDER REBEL (10)||14.00|
|7||MASTER HARRY (7)||9.00|
|8||MY DESTINY (9)||7.50|
*Fixed Win odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change