Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Saturday sees three Group 1 races highlight a crack Eagle Farm race card for Stradbroke Handicap Day, one of which is the 2013 Queensland Derby– betting tips and exotic selections for which are detailed right here for Races.com.au readers.
This year’s $500,000 Group 1 Channel Seven Queensland Derby (2400m) is due to run as Eagle Farm Race 7 at 3:00pm (AEST) one race before the meeting’s marquee event – the 2013 Stradbroke Handicap.
There are just four single-figure fancies in the latest Queensland Derby betting markets with the John Bary-trained Survived ($3.40) taking the honours as the favourite.
The talented Kiwi runner is tipped to improve on their second in the Group 3 Rough Habit Plate (2100m) last start which was their first run down under.
They will have to turn the tables on the Rough Habit winner Hawkspur however who is the $4.20 second fancy despite having also won the Group 3 Grand Prix Stakes (2200m) late last month, now after the same winning treble as last year’s Queensland Derby champ Brambles.
There’s also genuine claims from the progressive Rhythm To Spare ($6.50) who has a wide gate to overcome but who was a brave second in the Grand Prix – a race that has produced four of the past 10 Derby winners, and $7 fancy Gondokoro backing up from a big Queensland Oaks success over the mile and a half here just seven days ago.
But add into the mix some other exciting double-figure fancies including the nicely-drawn Honorius ($11) and the Murray Baker-trained Kiwi raider Usainity ($17) and there’s plenty to consider before placing your Queensland Derby bets.
Having recently published a complete 2013 Queensland Derby Form Guide & Betting Analysis, below are the Races.com.au crew’s exclusive tips on the final Group 1 for three-year-olds for the season.
#1 Hawkspur ($4.20)
- Comes off a winning double with the Group 3 Rough Habit Plate and Group 3 Grand Prix Stakes titles already theirs – the same two races last year’s Derby winner Brambles came via
- Beat very similar fields in both those races including Saturday’s favourite #4 Survived in the Rough Habit
- Survived hasn’t run since then and so Hawkspur should boast the fitness advantage here
- Seems to be relishing racing in Queensland and also will handle a Slow track if the rain comes
- Gun run coming for them drawn in five with the Queensland Derby’s most successful hoop Jim Cassidy vying for his fourth win from 14 starts in the classic
#18 Gondokoro ($7)
- Really believe this is a talented filly who isn’t just in the Derby to make up numbers
- Take her Each Way as we wouldn’t be surprised to see her beat home the boys
- Easy three length winner of the Group 1 Queensland Oaks over the 2400m at Eagle Farm last Saturday
- Needs to handle the back-up but is now proven at the track and distance – only one in this field to win at Eagle Farm and over the distance
- Very versatile and can handle any ground but a Dead – Slow track will be best which she should get here
- If the five emergencies don’t get a run she will come into last year’s winning barrier (11)
- Last year’s Queensland Oaks winner Quintessential backed up to run second in the Derby and tipping the same from Gondokoro this year
#4 Survived ($3.40)
- History says that only two Queensland Derby betting favourites have finished out of the money in the past 10 years so locking in Survived to run top three
- Consistent record back home in NZ showing lots of potential
- Kiwi form has been stacking up, especially this time of year so don’t rule out the Zed gelding who is favourite for a number of reasons
- Last start second to Hawkspur in the Rough Habit had some excuses, a bit of interference and the jockey might have left the run too late
- Get an extra 300m here which will suit and it’s shaping up as a competitive finish
Roughie We Like
#4 Ali Vital ($34)
- Real step up in class here but at $34 worth adding into a few of your exotics or even taking Each Way
- Should get a nice run from barrier 10 (into 7 with emergencies out)
- Only lightly raced with six starts but has won their last two leading up to this firstly by two lengths at Warrnambool and then by three at Doomben late last month over the 2200m
- Chris Munce rode them for that but will be replaced by Darren Gauci on Saturday
Lock in our Queensland Derby 2013 trifecta tip online now at the best prices down under at bookmaker.com.au who will also reward you as a new depositing player with a bonus bet valued up to $500 this season!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.