Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the five Group races running at Eagle Farm Racecourse for Stradbroke Handicap Day this Saturday, June 8, is the fillies’ and mares’ Dane Ripper Stakes 2013– betting tips and selections for which can be found below.
The Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival classic runs as Race 5 at 1:45pm (AEST) and should be a hotly contested affair with a bumper field engaged to face off.
Betting on the $200,000 Group 2 Patinack Farm Dane Ripper Stakes (1400m) is wide open this year with three hopefuls sharing the top line in the markets at $5.50.
The first of those is the talented Chris Waller-trained Red Tracer who is a proven Group winner but who has a wide barrier 18 draw to overcome as she races for the first time since her 15th to Sacred Falls in the mud at Randwick for the Group 1 Doncater Mile (1600m).
Next is Steps In Time, Jim Cassidy’s mount also drawn awkwardly with gate 21 with the daughter of Danehill Dancer looking to improve on her last start 11th against the boys in the Group 1 Doomben 10,000 (1350m).
The third equal favourite for the Dane Ripper is then Fire Up Fifi in gate eight, Rob Heathcote’s locally-trained Bradbury’s Luck mare coming off a good win in the Listed Spear Chief Handicap (1500m) at the track from last Saturday.
The only other hope under $10 in the markets is then the rails-drawn Floria ($8), Peter Moody’s Savabeel five-year-old third-up this time in and last seen running a good fourth to Speediness in the Listed Scone Cup (1600m) the form on which has been holding up.
So are the Races.com.au team sticking with the top fancies in the Dane Ripper Quality odds? And if so how are we splitting the trio of favourites?
#12 Fire up Fifi ($5.50)
- Locally trained Fire Up Fifi has the home ground advantage here and we are tipping her to make the most of it
- Has been racing very well in open fields this carnival including her fifth to Belltone in the Group 3 BRC Sprint (1350m) two back when defeated only 1.5 lengths
- Won her last start over the 1500m at Eagle Farm so will appreciate the drop back in distance
- Does have to handle the short seven day back-up however but is proven in doing so having won two on the trot a week apart over 1800m and then 1600m in Brisbane last August
- Good barrier draw too (8) giving jockey Glen Colless options and is well suited to the set weights conditions
- Super consistent overall and especially loves it at Eagle Farm with six wins from 11 starts here
#6 Miss Stellabelle ($13)
- Is at good odds after drawing the second widest barrier but think she has class to overcome
- Prepared by Gai Waterhouse in Sydney and is another on a short back-up after a very brave fifth to Galah beaten only 0.7 lengths in the Group 2 QTC Cup (1300m) at Eagle Farm last Saturday
- Has been racing very, very well in Sydney before that too including her close third in the Dark Jewel Classic over the 1400m at Scone too back – and the Scone form is holding
- Probably overdue for a win but think she’ll just miss out again because of that gate, expect a flying finish though
#1 Red Tracer ($5.50)
- Also one we have ruled out for the win due to an awkward gate (18) but has real Each Way claims
- Form around the best in the business and is a multiple Group 1 performer including her two close seconds behind Appearance earlier this autumn in the Coolmore Classic and Queen of the Turf Stakes over 1500m at Rosehill
- Faces an easier field here but hasn’t raced since a tough Doncaster effort (15th of 18th) on a Heavy (10) track
- Showed she’d come through okay but with a close second in a Rosehill trial over 1030m on May 27
- Freshened up and pulls rank but weight and barrier = place not win for mine
Like our Dane Ripper Stakes tips or have your own selections you want to lock in before jump time Saturday?
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.