Much has been made about the strength of the current crop of three-year-olds and a quartet of speedsters have the chance to further confirm those thoughts in Saturday’s $1.36 million 2013 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) at Eagle Farm.
In the Stradbroke Handicap market, the four three-year-olds confirmed as starters occupy the top four betting positions.
So just how do Epaulette, Sizzling, Better Than Ready and Your Song stack up?
- Trainer: Peter Snowden
- Weight: 56kg
- Record: 11-5-2-2
- Prizemoney: $1.7 million
- Major Wins: Group 1 Golden Rose, Group 1 Doomben 10,000
- Last start: Won Doomben 10,000
- In his favour: Proven at Group 1 level against older horses, genuine a-grade sprinter, won twice at distance.
- Possible queries: 56kg, has to break modern weight-carry record for three-year-olds and is giving plenty of weight to the other three-year-olds. Tends to race best fresh, has had just two weeks off since the 10,000.
- Trainer: Kelso Wood
- Weight: 52kg
- Record: 16-7-4-0
- Prizemoney: $1.29 million
- Major Wins: Group 1 TJ Smith (2YO race), Group 2 Queensland Guineas
- Last start: Won Queensland Guineas
- In his favour: Just 52kg, at his preferred track, has won twice at the trip, proven on a seven-day back-up which he has here.
- Possible queries: Yet to take on the older horses, is he in the class of the other three-year-olds?
Your Song $5.50
- Trainer: Anthony Cummings
- Weight: 54kg
- Record: 12-3-1-2
- Prizemoney: $407,180
- Major Wins: Group 1 BTC Cup
- Last start: Sixth in Doomben 10,000
- In his favour: Proven at Group 1 level against older horses, genuine a-grade sprinter, proven at track, proven at distance.
- Possible queries: 54kg isn’t as much as Epaulette but it’s still a big ask for a 3YO, has to bounce back from a tough run where he faded late to finish sixth after going hard early in the Doomben 10,000.
Better Than Ready $5.50
- Trainer: Kelly Schweida
- Weight: 52.5kg
- Record: 12-6-1-3
- Prizemoney: $381,000
- Major Wins: Yet to win above Listed level, third in Group 1 BTC Cup
- Last start: Fifth in Doomben 10,000
- In his favour: Carries 52.5kg, has been deliberately “peaked” for this race, at home track
- Possible queries: Yet to win a Group 1, beaten 6 1/2 lengths in the BTC Cup and four lengths in the Doomben 10,000
Whether you are keen on one of the three-year-olds or fancy an older horse? Tremendous odds on the Stradbroke can be found at bookmaker.com.au! Join in time for this weekend’s huge day of racing to give your betting a massive boost with their huge winter offer of a $500 bonus bet offer!