Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Much has been made about the strength of the current crop of three-year-olds and a quartet of speedsters have the chance to further confirm those thoughts in Saturday’s $1.36 million 2013 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) at Eagle Farm.
In the Stradbroke Handicap market, the four three-year-olds confirmed as starters occupy the top four betting positions.
So just how do Epaulette, Sizzling, Better Than Ready and Your Song stack up?
- Trainer: Peter Snowden
- Weight: 56kg
- Record: 11-5-2-2
- Prizemoney: $1.7 million
- Major Wins: Group 1 Golden Rose, Group 1 Doomben 10,000
- Last start: Won Doomben 10,000
- In his favour: Proven at Group 1 level against older horses, genuine a-grade sprinter, won twice at distance.
- Possible queries: 56kg, has to break modern weight-carry record for three-year-olds and is giving plenty of weight to the other three-year-olds. Tends to race best fresh, has had just two weeks off since the 10,000.
- Trainer: Kelso Wood
- Weight: 52kg
- Record: 16-7-4-0
- Prizemoney: $1.29 million
- Major Wins: Group 1 TJ Smith (2YO race), Group 2 Queensland Guineas
- Last start: Won Queensland Guineas
- In his favour: Just 52kg, at his preferred track, has won twice at the trip, proven on a seven-day back-up which he has here.
- Possible queries: Yet to take on the older horses, is he in the class of the other three-year-olds?
Your Song $5.50
- Trainer: Anthony Cummings
- Weight: 54kg
- Record: 12-3-1-2
- Prizemoney: $407,180
- Major Wins: Group 1 BTC Cup
- Last start: Sixth in Doomben 10,000
- In his favour: Proven at Group 1 level against older horses, genuine a-grade sprinter, proven at track, proven at distance.
- Possible queries: 54kg isn’t as much as Epaulette but it’s still a big ask for a 3YO, has to bounce back from a tough run where he faded late to finish sixth after going hard early in the Doomben 10,000.
Better Than Ready $5.50
- Trainer: Kelly Schweida
- Weight: 52.5kg
- Record: 12-6-1-3
- Prizemoney: $381,000
- Major Wins: Yet to win above Listed level, third in Group 1 BTC Cup
- Last start: Fifth in Doomben 10,000
- In his favour: Carries 52.5kg, has been deliberately “peaked” for this race, at home track
- Possible queries: Yet to win a Group 1, beaten 6 1/2 lengths in the BTC Cup and four lengths in the Doomben 10,000
Whether you are keen on one of the three-year-olds or fancy an older horse? Tremendous odds on the Stradbroke can be found at bookmaker.com.au! Join in time for this weekend’s huge day of racing to give your betting a massive boost with their huge winter offer of a $500 bonus bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.