Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
Peter Snowden’s Gold Coast Guineas winner Academus has opened top of the Queensland Guineas 2013 odds for this weekend, the Lonhro three-year-old looking to secure a Stradbroke Handicap ballot exemption for Saturday week.
Snowden has two chances in the $350,000 Group 2 Sky Racing Queensland Guineas (1400m) on Saturday with promising Commands gelding Complicate and Academus.
Both youngsters are also among the 40 first acceptors for the following week’s famous $1.36 million Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m).
However as they currently sit 21st (Academus) and 30th (Complicate) on the Stradbroke Handicap order of entry neither are assured of a start in the capacity 18-starter field for Queensland’s richest race.
And only one can win that ballot free ride into the race on offer to the Queensland Guineas winner.
Of the pair it is Academus the bookies rate the best chance as they sit top of the Queensland Guineas betting markets at a quote of $5.
Last seen running a close third when beaten under a length in the Group 3 Fred Best Classic (1350m) Academus gets the chance to return to the winners stall here and add a third Guineas win to their record adding to the Gold Coast edition and the Group 2 WA Guineas (1600m) trophy they won in Perth during the spring.
Following Academus in the Queensland Guineas odds are then five other single figure fancies with:
- #6 Platinum Kingdom ($5.50) – Beat home many of these including Academus last start winning the Fred Best Classic in their Queensland debut, smart New Zealand-based Magnus gelding has the right lead-up form and a good gate three draw so one of the ones to beat
- #1 Sizzling ($6) – Kelso Wood-trained Group 1 winner of the TJ Smith last winter as a juvenile, out of form so far this month finishing out of the money in both the GC Guineas and the red Best but tipped to bounce back here
- #11 Boban ($6) – Really looks ready to finally win some black type after two luckless second place finishes this month, first was a come from behind effort in the Hawkesbury Guineas behind Limes when beaten a long neck followed by their similarly close second to Platinum Kingdom in the Fred Best, from gate four here with Hugh Bowman aboard will be hard to hold off with the right sort of run
- #19 Lilliburlero ($8) – Has firmed right in since gaining a start as the first emergency, this nicely-bred Redoute’s Choice filly won her opening two in Sydney last season and was far from disgraced first-up in the Fred Best when two lengths away fifth after 20 weeks on the sidelines, second-up will be more competitive especially at Eagle Farm over the distance but just need to handle that wet track
- #9 Complicate ($9.50) – Snowden’s other runner who the trainer actually rates as the better of the two (between them and Academus) looking at the Stradbroke, they like to get up front early and have been getting some decent results doing so of late but not sure if they can do much better than their last start fourth in the Fred Best, albeit they do have a much nice barrier this time (five as opposed to 14)
There have also been three early scratchings from the Queensland Guineas field with #10 Eximus, #13 Al Aneed and #18 Saturn Rock all ruled out of the race likely due to the possibility of a Heavy Eagle Farm track for Queensland Oaks Day.
This has paved the way for the first three of the four emergencies to gain a start with the asforementioned #19 Lilliburlero, #20 Holy Toledo and #21 My Shabella, Bruce Hill’s nicely-drawn (barrier two) Haradasun filly after her third straight win, all in the mix.
See below for the latest 2013 Queensland Guineas odds, prices courtesy of our No. 1 recommended bookie bookmaker.com.au.
Want to enjoy the Brisbane racing and betting scene from wherever you are this weekend but don’t have a bookmaker.com.au account? Join today quoting the code BONUSBET and enjoy the added benefit of a bonus bet matching your first deposit dollar for dollar as a bonus bet valued up to $500!
2013 Queensland Guineas Odds
Eagle Farm Race 6 – 3:00pm (AEST) – 01/06/2013
|4||LUNAR RISE (6)||12.00|
|6||PLATINUM KINGDOM (3)||5.50|
|7||DANCES ON STARS (14)||26.00|
|12||LUCKY HUSSLER (9)||61.00|
|13||AL ANEED (12)||–|
|14||GENERAL EXHIBIT (8)||26.00|
|16||DIAMOND EARTH (20)||26.00|
|18||SATURN ROCK (17)||–|
|20e||HOLY TOLED (22)||101.00|
|21e||MY SHABELLA (2)||41.00|
|22e||EYE WINSOME (19)||101.00|
*Fixed Win odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.