The Group 1 stats on Rob Heathcote’s star local Brisbanite Buffering are certainly impressive with the only thing missing being a win which they will look to change in the Doomben 10,000 2013 this weekend.
The five-year-old Mossman gelding has contest an incredible 14 Group 1 races over their 32 career start to date which has produced for connections over $2.2 million in prize money.
That’s an impressive figure too considering a Group 1 trophy is still missing from their cabinet stand.
With seven Group 1 minor places and a further four top four finishes in the country’s premier races, there is little doubt that Heathcote and co will be feeling the frustration of always being the groomsman and never the groom with this ultra-consistent horse.
After a big 3.5 length first-up win in the Group 2 Victory Stakes (1200m) at Doomben on April 27 Buffering was last seen finishing seven lengths away fourth to the Anthony Cummings-trained Sydney raider Your Song in the Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m) on May 11.
Fastnet Rock colt Your Song is now the firming $2.70 favourite at bookmaker.com.au to win the $650,000 Group 1 Doomben 10,000 (1350m) this Saturday completing a Group 1 Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival double achieved last season by another then three-year-old Sea Siren.
Buffering isn’t too far from the punters’ thoughts however sitting on the second line of betting at a quote of $4.60.
The favourite suffered an early blow with gate 15 of 15 in the Doomben 10,000.
Heathcote’s hopeful didn’t have much better luck with the alleys however also drawing double-digits with 12.
Their trainer is keeping positive however and hoping the rain stays away for Saturday’s big meet to give Buffering a firmer track than the Heavy (9) they failed to handle for the BTC Cup and a chance of finally scoring that elusive Group 1.
“I’d rather draw well or right out wide, not in between, and that sentiment was endorsed by Damian Browne as well,” Heathcote said of their Doomben 10,000 draw.
“The 1350m is a great start and if he comes out like he did in the Victory Stakes, he will be up there.”
#2 Buffering – Horse Form
- Barrier: 12
- Jockey: Damian Browne
- Trainer: Rob Heathcote
- Owners: Mrs V A Heathcote, Mr S A Krslovic, Mr C A Moore, Mr S K Chipperfield, Mr C A Lord, Crafty Racing, Aspariamo Racing, Mr B W Harry, Mr R S Ciobo
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Mossman from Action Annie
- Career: 32-12-7-4
- Win: 37.50%
- Place: 71.88%
- Last 6: 168×14
- Prize Money: $2,260,900
- Track: 7-3-1-2
- Distance: 4-0-2-0
- Current 2013 Doomben 10,000 Odds: $4.60
Pros for Backing Buffering To Win the 2013 Doomben 10,000
- Damian Browne retains the ride having been aboard for both their runs this time in
- Can forgive their BTC Cup fourth which was on an unsuitably Heavy (9) track
- Back at Doomben over 1350m with firmer ground should be back to their best
- Seasoned gallopers have a great record in the race with horses aged 5+ winning six of the past 10 editions
- Big Group 2 win two back at the track
- Most experienced Group 1 performer in this field and likely the highest earner ($2.2 million)
- Doomben specialist with awesome record at the track (7-3-1-2)
Cons for Getting Behind Buffering in the Doomben 10,000 Betting Markets
- Has drawn an awkward gate (12) which has produced just one Doomben 10,000 winner in the past 30 years
- Doesn’t know how to win a Group 1 having raced in 14 of them finishing top four 11 times!
- Worry of rain – if the track is worse than Slow probably forget them again if Heathcote doesn’t scratch
- Feel sorry for Buffering and want to show some support to win their first Group 1 from 15 attempts?
- Was beaten five lengths by Saturday’s #8 Your Song ($2.70) last start and faces them along with BTC Cup runner-up #4 Rain Affair ($7) and third placed #15 Better Than Ready ($11) again here
- Yet to win over the distance (4-0-2-0)
Then head over to our No. 1 recommended bookie bookmaker.com.au and access the hottest Doomben 10,000 odds now as well as a bonus $500 bet when you quote the code BONUSBET when making your first deposit!