This Saturday, May 25, Doomben Racecourse will host the weekend’s sole Group 1 showdown with a bumper field of talented gallopers set to run in the 2013 Doomben 10,000 – tips and betting selections for which are detailed below.
There are 15 horses making up the field for this year’s $650,000 Group 1 Carlton Mid Doomben 10,000 (1350m), running as Race 8 at 3:40pm (AEST), with the Anthony Cummings-trained Your Song the early favourite.
The BTC Cup winning Fastnet Rock colt is $2.70 and growing in popularity in the Doomben 10,000 betting markets after easily accounting for many of these same rivals in the Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m) at Eagle Farm last start.
That was the three-year-olds’ first-up run for the season and they put in a stellar effort to win by five lengths in the mud, but will they be able to back-up?
There are plenty of worthy rivals waiting for Your Song to slip up from barrier 15 of 15 on a firmer track too including the Rob Heathcote-trained Buffering ($4.60), Peter Snowden’s Golden Rose winner Epaulette ($5) and BTC Cup second placegetter Rain Affair ($7).
But are these dominant punters’ picks really the ones to back in your Doomben 10,000 betting this weekend?
Or is there a blowout Doomben 10,000 result on the cards from a double-figure outsider such as the rails-drawn BTC Cup third placed Better Than Ready ($11) or the John O’Shea-trained Steps In Time ($12) who is a stablemate to last year’s winner Sea Siren also in the mix this year at $17.
Earlier in the week the Races.com.au team published our insider 2013 Doomben 10,000 Form Guide & Betting Preview and based on the facts and stats revealed there, below are our exclusive tips on the winter feature.
#15 Better Than Ready ($11)
- Early market mover having been heavily backed in from $14 to $11 – worth following the money here?
- Comes off a game third to Your Song in the BTC Cup, a race that has produced six of the past 10 Doomben 10,000 winners
- Three-year-olds have won two of the past 10 editions but this is an up-and-coming colt that is underrated
- Top local chance enjoyed an easy win in the Listed Mick Dittman Plate recently
- Gets the run of the race from barrier one which has produced more Doomben 10,000 winners than any other gate but will it suit their get back style?
- Can handle a soft track but getting firmer ground than the Heavy (9) on BTC Cup Day will boost their chances
- Expect a big finish from the track specialist (4-2-0-1)
#10 Epaulette ($5)
- Doesn’t come via the BTC Cup but will be fresh here which will suit having last run in the All Aged Stakes a month ago
- Drawn to win in gate four (inside alleys statistically advantageous)
- Group 1 Golden Rose winner with awesome record over the distance (3-2-0-0)
- Should follow frontrunners like Rain Affair (barrier five) and get home strongly
- First-up second to Black Caviar in the TJ Smith was impressive and after a similar run here
#8 Your Song ($2.70)
- Deserved favourite looking at the stats but just worry about them backing up after impressive first-up run from barrier 15 of 15
- No Doomben 10,000 winner has jumped from this gate
- Did the BTC Cup five length romp in the mud take too much out of them?
- If rain comes will firm even further in the markets
- Only horse coming off a win and after same double as last year’s BTC Cup – Doomben 10,000 winner Sea Siren
- Best place rate of the field with 85.71% and handles this distance (3-2-0-0)
Roughie We Like
#3 Manawanui ($26)
- Returned off a lengthy spell last start to run a credible fifth in the Listed Hall Mark Stakes (1200m) in April
- Backed up from their good first-up performance with a nice trial winning over 1030m at Rosehill
- Will have improved on that and will enjoy the fast pace expected for Saturday
- A proven Group 1 performer (2011 Golden Rose)
Fancy locking in our Doomben 10,000 trifecta tip at the best prices? Visit bookmaker.com.au and enjoy their lucrative markets as well as a $500 bonus welcome bet as a first time depositing player that enters the promo code BONUSBET!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change