Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday, May 25, Doomben Racecourse will host the weekend’s sole Group 1 showdown with a bumper field of talented gallopers set to run in the 2013 Doomben 10,000 – tips and betting selections for which are detailed below.
There are 15 horses making up the field for this year’s $650,000 Group 1 Carlton Mid Doomben 10,000 (1350m), running as Race 8 at 3:40pm (AEST), with the Anthony Cummings-trained Your Song the early favourite.
The BTC Cup winning Fastnet Rock colt is $2.70 and growing in popularity in the Doomben 10,000 betting markets after easily accounting for many of these same rivals in the Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m) at Eagle Farm last start.
That was the three-year-olds’ first-up run for the season and they put in a stellar effort to win by five lengths in the mud, but will they be able to back-up?
There are plenty of worthy rivals waiting for Your Song to slip up from barrier 15 of 15 on a firmer track too including the Rob Heathcote-trained Buffering ($4.60), Peter Snowden’s Golden Rose winner Epaulette ($5) and BTC Cup second placegetter Rain Affair ($7).
But are these dominant punters’ picks really the ones to back in your Doomben 10,000 betting this weekend?
Or is there a blowout Doomben 10,000 result on the cards from a double-figure outsider such as the rails-drawn BTC Cup third placed Better Than Ready ($11) or the John O’Shea-trained Steps In Time ($12) who is a stablemate to last year’s winner Sea Siren also in the mix this year at $17.
Earlier in the week the Races.com.au team published our insider 2013 Doomben 10,000 Form Guide & Betting Preview and based on the facts and stats revealed there, below are our exclusive tips on the winter feature.
#15 Better Than Ready ($11)
- Early market mover having been heavily backed in from $14 to $11 – worth following the money here?
- Comes off a game third to Your Song in the BTC Cup, a race that has produced six of the past 10 Doomben 10,000 winners
- Three-year-olds have won two of the past 10 editions but this is an up-and-coming colt that is underrated
- Top local chance enjoyed an easy win in the Listed Mick Dittman Plate recently
- Gets the run of the race from barrier one which has produced more Doomben 10,000 winners than any other gate but will it suit their get back style?
- Can handle a soft track but getting firmer ground than the Heavy (9) on BTC Cup Day will boost their chances
- Expect a big finish from the track specialist (4-2-0-1)
#10 Epaulette ($5)
- Doesn’t come via the BTC Cup but will be fresh here which will suit having last run in the All Aged Stakes a month ago
- Drawn to win in gate four (inside alleys statistically advantageous)
- Group 1 Golden Rose winner with awesome record over the distance (3-2-0-0)
- Should follow frontrunners like Rain Affair (barrier five) and get home strongly
- First-up second to Black Caviar in the TJ Smith was impressive and after a similar run here
#8 Your Song ($2.70)
- Deserved favourite looking at the stats but just worry about them backing up after impressive first-up run from barrier 15 of 15
- No Doomben 10,000 winner has jumped from this gate
- Did the BTC Cup five length romp in the mud take too much out of them?
- If rain comes will firm even further in the markets
- Only horse coming off a win and after same double as last year’s BTC Cup – Doomben 10,000 winner Sea Siren
- Best place rate of the field with 85.71% and handles this distance (3-2-0-0)
Roughie We Like
#3 Manawanui ($26)
- Returned off a lengthy spell last start to run a credible fifth in the Listed Hall Mark Stakes (1200m) in April
- Backed up from their good first-up performance with a nice trial winning over 1030m at Rosehill
- Will have improved on that and will enjoy the fast pace expected for Saturday
- A proven Group 1 performer (2011 Golden Rose)
Fancy locking in our Doomben 10,000 trifecta tip at the best prices? Visit bookmaker.com.au and enjoy their lucrative markets as well as a $500 bonus welcome bet as a first time depositing player that enters the promo code BONUSBET!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.