The Doomben Cup 2018 takes centre stage in...
They were found out by five lengths when distant second to fellow Sydneysider Your Song in the BTC Cup last start but on Saturday the Joe Pride-trained Rain Affair will look to turn the tables when the duo face off again this time in the 2013 Doomben 10,000.
Classy Commands five-year-old Rain Affair has been in outstanding form this time in running top four in all four of their Group 1 assignments on the trot.
They resumed on March 23 when fourth to Pierro in the Canterbury Stakes before their fourth to the world’s best, Black Caviar, the TJ Smith Stakes when back down to the 1200m.
From there they were a brave second to All Too Hard in the All Aged Stakes over 1400m beaten just half a length before their BTC Cup run in the mud.
Pride is loving the recent efforts from Rain Affair believing they are a genuine chance at their maiden Group 1 victory in Saturday’s $650,000 Group 1 Carlton Mid Doomben 10,000 (1350m) believing the favourite to be vulnerable.
“When a horse puts in a career-peaking performance like that first-up, there’s generally only one way a horse can go,” Pride said speaking of Your Song’s five length BTC Cup victory.
“I know when my horses have performed (like that) first-up, they only go one way unless they’re superstars.
“I hope this can be the day (for Rain Affair). You get to the point when you’ve run second in four Group 1s that you forget thinking about ‘this could be the day’.
“But I’ve always said this is the race we’ve been eyeing off.”
While the punters’ pick Your Song ($2.70) is drawn wide in the extreme outside gate 15 of 15, the barriers were kinder to Rain Affair who came up trumps with gate five.
They currently occupy the fourth line of betting with the Rob Heathcote-trained Buffering ($4.60) and Peter Snowden’s progressive colt Epaulette ($5) above them in the markets along with the top fancy.
So can Rain Affair score an upset Doomben 10,000 result this weekend from their favourable draw?
Or will the rain come and Your Song salute again?
Whatever the outcome Pride is sure they have plenty of racing left in them over the coming seasons.
“He’s a good, honest performer, there’s no doubt about that,” Pride said.
“He’s still got a couple of seasons left in him, there have been an amazing group of sprinters who are now retiring, and I don’t think you’ll see (new sprinters) come along one after the other.
“Hopefully the next two seasons we’ll see a dip in the stocks.”
#4 Rain Affair – Horse Form
- Barrier: 5
- Jockey: Christian Reith
- Trainer: Joe Pride
- Owners: Mr D W Storey
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Commands from I Believe
- Career: 21-11-5-0
- Win: 52.38%
- Place: 76.19%
- Last 6: 8×4422
- Prize Money: $1,328,350
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 4-1-2-0
- Current 2013 Doomben 10,000 Odds: 7
Yes – Rain Affair Has What it Takes to Win the Doomben 10,000 2013
- Should get the run of the race from barrier five with inside alleys (1-5) producing six of the past 20 Doomben 10,000 winners
- Favourites Your Song and Buffering are both drawn wide with barriers 15 and 12 respectively so gates are in Rain Affair’s favour
- Second to Your Song in the BTC Cup and will get extra distance to come closer this time
- Predicted wet weather in Brisbane has punters coming for the favourite who handled a Heavy (9) in the BTC Cup but Rain Affair’s wet record is equally impressive: Slow (4-4-0-0) and Heavy (3-2-1-0)
- Right age as a 5YO with the older gallopers boasting a better recent record in the race with only three winners aged four or under saluting in the past 10 years
- Boasts the second best Win Rate in this field with 52.38% trailing only #15 Better Than Ready (54.55%)
- Over $1.3 million in prize money
- Decent record over the distance (4-1-2-0)
No – Rain Affair Won’t Beat All Rivals in Doomben 10,000 Finish
- Your Song flashed past them in emphatic style in the BTC Cup last start, will they be able to hold them off this time?
- Yet to race at Doomben
- Have they had enough after four testing runs this season?
- Think Rain Affair might be worth including in your Doomben 10,000 selections?
Well lock them in online now at the most competitive prices at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous [ blink text=”Pick Your Own Odds“] markets on all the metro races!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.