Betting markets for the 2013 Doomben 10,000 in Brisbane this Saturday are firmly led by Anthony Cummings’ BTC Cup champ Your Song but fellow Sydney horseman Peter Snowden is also preparing to saddle up a Group 1 winning colt from NSW in Epaulette.
After putting five lengths on a similar field to win Eagle Farm’s Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m) first-up in the wet earlier this month, Fastnet Rock colt Your Song is dominating the betting markets for the $650,000 Group 1 Carlton Mid Doomben 10,000 (1350m) this weekend paying $2.70.
Occupying the second line of odds is then the Rob Heathcote-trained local Buffering ($4.60) followed by Commands three-year-old Epaulette.
Like the favourite Epaulette is also from Sydney, the Darley-owned colt boasting their own elite level trophy too having won the Golden Rose over 1400m last September.
This time in Epaulette has had two testing Group 1 runs.
First-up they were best of the rest behind the world’s best, Black Caviar, in her swansong run in the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes (1200m).
Epaulette was then last seen running a somewhat disappointing sixth to All Too Hard when beaten 2.5 lengths in the Group 1 All Aged Stakes (1400m).
After a good Rosehill trial on May 14 Epaulette is predicted to bounce back in the Doomben 10,000 this Saturday for their Queensland debut currently paying $5 to score an upset.
So are those odds worth taking Each Way? Or will Epaulette be found out here?
#10 Epaulette – Horse Form
- Barrier: 4
- Jockey: Kerrin McEvoy
- Trainer: Peter Snowden
- Owners: Sheikh Mohammed (Darley)
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Commands from Accessories
- Career: 10-4-2-2
- Win: 40.00%
- Place: 80.00%
- Last 6: 113×26
- Prize Money: $1,286,150
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-0-0
- Current 2013 Doomben 10,000 Odds: $5
Why Epaulette Can Win the Doomben 10,000 2013
- Unlike the favourite #8 Your Song who has barrier 15 of 15, Epaulette is drawn to perfection with barrier four
- Gates 1 – 5 have produced six of the past 20 Doomben 10,000 winners, barrier 4 with three winners since 1983
- Regular rider Kerrin McEvoy stays on
- Is a Group 1 winner over 1400m so the 1350m looks ideal and they have a good record over the distance with two wins from three attempts
- Set to improve on their last start
Why Epaulette Won’t Score Upset Doomben 10,000 Result
- Will they turn up with a Golden Rose performance or an All Aged sixth like last time?
- Hasn’t raced in Queensland before
- Never race don anything worse than a Dead (5) so if the rain comes and the track is soft they could be in trouble
- Not seasoned enough? Only two three-year-old Doomben 10,000 winners in the past 10 years – Sea Siren last year was one of them though
- Wrong lead-up? The BTC Cup has produced six of the past 10 Doomben 10,000 winners and this colt bypassed that crucial race
- Looks better for the Place bet with a winning rate of 40% compared to their 80% place percentage
Think Epaulette has what it takes to be competitive this Saturday? Lock them in for the Win or in your Doomben 10,000 Exotics online now at bookmaker.com.au from wherever you are thanks to their awesome mobile betting site!