They may have drawn the far outside barrier but early 2013 Doomben 10,000 betting favourite Your Song continues to dominate markets the Brisbane classic this Saturday, but can the Sydney raider overcome the ‘visitor’s draw’ and salute for the punters?
Anthony Cummings’ Fastnet Rock colt thrived on a mud track at Eagle Farm when resuming on May 11 to put a big five lengths on the Joe Pride-trained Rain Affair to win the Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m).
Shooting for a Group 1 winter carnival double, this weekend sees Your Song hit Doomben Racecourse for the $650,000 Doomben 10,000 (1350m).
Facing a similar field of rivals to the BTC Cup, Your Song is heading the Doomben 10,000 odds at a firming price of $2.70 having been backed in from their opening odds of $3.
Jockey Hugh Bowman takes over in the Doomben 10,000 aboard Your Song replacing the suspended Peter Robl and is confident he is on the prized mount even with barrier 15 of 15.
“If he goes like he did last time it won’t matter,” he said of the horse and their wide draw.
Bowman was aboard BTC Cup runner-up Rain Affair and while saying he was pleased with that effort, the ease in which Your Song passed them there has him excited to jump aboard Saturday’s favourite.
“A lot of people asked if I was disappointed in Rain Affair’s performance,” Bowman said.
“I wasn’t at all. He still turned in a genuine winning performance.
“I was really travelling and I had just quickened up, yet Your Song just sailed past me and it took me totally by surprise.”
So will Your Song do as Bowman believes and get the better of this field?
Or can one of the other top fancies in the Doomben 10,000 betting markets get the better of the favourite such as Peter Snowden’s Group 1 winning colt Epaulette ($5) with a gun barrier four draw, the Rob Heathcote-trained local $2.2 million earner Buffering ($4.60) or BTC Cup runner-up Rain Affair ($7) out for atonement?
#8 Your Song – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 15
- Jockey: Hugh Bowman
- Trainer: Anthony Cummings
- Owners: Gooree Pastoral Company
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Fastnet Rock from Zembu
- Career: 7-3-1-2
- Win: 42.86%
- Place: 85.71%
- Last 6: 1283×1
- Prize Money: $447,180
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-0-0
- Current 2013 Doomben 10,000 Odds: $2.70
Yes – Your Song Will be the 2013 Doomben 10,000 Winner
- Only last-start winner in the mix having taken out the Group 1 BTC Cup by an impressive margin last start
- Should be fitter after that first-up effort and ready to fire here
- BTC Cup has produced six of the past 10 Doomben 10,000 winners
- After the same BTC Cup – Doomben 10,000 double Sea Siren achieved 12 months ago
- Has one of the better win rates of the field with 42.86%
- Best place rate here (85.71%)
- Good record over the distance so far (3-2-0-0)
- Chance of decent amount of rain falling before race day, thrived in the wet last start so Slow – Heavy will be a huge advantage especially from that awkward gate
- Is the firming favourite too in from $3 to $2.70 – favourites have adecent record with three wins in the past 10 years
No – Your Song Can’t Complete the BTC Cup – Doomben 10,000 Double
- Biggest challenge will be the outside barrier (15 of 15) which no Doomben 10,000 winner has jumped form before
- The inside alleys 1 – 5 have produced six of the past 20 winners while outside gates have been tough going in the winners’ department
- Jockey change, can Bowman ride them as good as Robl not having been aboard before?
- Hasn’t raced at Doomben under race conditions yet
- Three-year-olds have only one two of the past 10 Doomben 10,000’s with Bel Esprit (2003) and Sea Siren (2012)
Whether you’re backing or sacking the market mover and punters’ pick Your Song in the Doomben 10,000 this weekend make sure you have access to the hottest odds by betting online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $500 bonus welcome bet offer!