The Doomben Cup 2018 takes centre stage in...
The sun is beating down, the track is a Dead 5 and a bumper day of racing is set to take place for Doomben Cup day in Brisbane.
In fact, conditions are just about perfect.
But will the ideal racing conditions allow two Group 1 winners who have become serial “non winners” to return to the winner’s circle?
In the Group 1 Doomben Cup is Secret Admirer, a talented mare who has long been a frustrating horse for punters. The last time this Grahame Begg-trained mare sat in the winner’s stall was October 2011 in the Epsom Handicap.
In the Group 3 BRC Sprint is a horse that was so prolific as a two-year-old he had a race named after him. Unfortunately, Phelan Ready is now six and hasn’t won since his juvenile days, with his last victory coming in the 2009 Golden Slipper.
So are these punter’s nightmares worth another shot? Keep reading for an analysis of their chances.
Secret Admirer – $14 – Race 7 Doomben Cup.
- 1 year, 7 months, 18 days since last win
- That’s 596 days
- She’s had 19 starts since then
- Is however a dual Group 1 winner
- Has been in reasonable form and comes out of a strong Queen Elizabeth Stakes
- Was beaten five lengths there and fit and primed for this
- Should be enough speed to allow her to run on
- Verdict: Better chances but should be running on. Place chance?
Phelan Ready – $13 – Race 8 BRC Sprint.
- Absolute definition of a punter’s nightmare
- Common placegetter but hasn’t won in 4 years, 1 month, 15 days
- That’s 1506 days
- He’s had 32 starts since then
- Second-up here after Prime Minister’s Cup sixth
- Many that beat him there are in this field and drawn better, Phelan Ready barrier 10
- Verdict: At the price there looks to be far better chances. Poor old fella might never win again but if he does, unlikely to be here.
No matter who you like on the bumper Brisbane card today, ensure you are getting great odds on all the top racing by visiting bookmaker.com.au.
Right now is the time to join the Australian-owned bookie as they are rewarding new customers with a $500 bonus bet offer just for joining quoting the code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.