Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
After running a luckless second to Lights Of Heaven in the Group 2 AD Hollindale Stakes (1800m) at the Gold Coast last start, this Saturday Chris Waller’s exciting stayer Foreteller will look to turn the tables when the duo face off again as equal favourites for the Doomben Cup 2013.
Six-year-old Dansili import Foreteller stamped their mark on the Sydney Autumn Carnival two starts back when beating a decent field in the Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) and they see that distance again for the first time in Saturday’s $500,000 Group 1 Kirks Doomben Cup (2000m).
Between their Ranvet Stakes success and their close second in the Hollindale Foreteller also ran a competitive fifth to Fiveandahalfstar, who was second in the Ranvet, when beaten less than one and a half lengths on a Slow (7) track in the Group 1 The BMW (2400m).
There were plenty of excuses at the Gold Coast with Foreteller drawn wide (barrier eight of 11) and got stuck out there before their blistering late finish.
They will be fitter after that run and should get a gun run from gate four here but is it enough?
The bookies believe so and have Foreteller $3.70 co-favourite with Lights Of Heaven in the latest Doomben Cup.
While they certainly look the one to beat there are a number of unknowns in this field and the track and distance could suit a number of others better.
So can Foreteller take out the weekend’s big Group 1?
#4 Foreteller – Horse Form
- Barrier: 4
- Jockey: Jim Cassidy
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: Werrett Bloodstock Pty Ltd, G G Ltd, Mr I Bruce, Mr D M Ackery, Mr F W Cook, Mr K J Hunt, Mr B L Mathieson, Mr R Smith, Mr B P Bradley, EST B A Wright
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Dansili from Prophecy
- Career: 30-9-2-1
- Win: 30%
- Place: 40%
- Last 6: 517152
- Prize Money: $951,021
- Track: 1-0-0-0
- Distance: 6-2-0-0
- Current 2013 Doomben Cup Odds: $3.70
Why Foreteller Can Win the 2013 Doomben Cup
- Group 1 winner over the distance two back in Sydney’s Ranvet Stakes
- Comes off an unlucky second to Lights Of Heaven in the Hollindale Stakes which has produced eight Doomben Cup winners since 2002 including Mawingo (3rd) last year
- Drew wide there but will benefit from an ideal barrier four (of 14) draw in the Doomben Cup
- Due to be ridden by Hall of Famer Jim Cassidy who has been aboard for their three most recent runs and who is the most successful Doomben Cup hoop in recent history with three wins from 10 rides
- Should be fitter after their run at the Gold Coast
- Has had just the one run at Doomben before when a well beaten ninth to Mawingo in this race last winter
- Decent record over the distance
Why Foreteller Won’t be the Doomben Cup Winner 2013
- Needs to defeat their last start conqueror Lights Of Heaven
- Have been up since January so will their short freshen-ups be enough or are they coming to the end of their prep?
- Another of the two Waller-trained horses Beaten Up is the market mover and could upset their better fancied stablemate
- Favourites have only saluted three times in the past decade
- Other horses look better over the 2000m including Beaten Up (2-2-0-0) and Lamasery (3-2-0-0)
- Will they get around if it’s a slow track?
Think Foreteller has what it takes to take out the Doomben Cup this weekend?
Head over to our preferred bookie bookmaker.com.au and access their juicy Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival odds today enjoying a $500 bonus sign-up bet too if you are new to join and deposit.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.