A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
Over the past 11 years four horses have completed the Hollindale Stakes – Doomben Cup double and on Saturday Peter Moody’s in-form mare Lights Of Heaven will out to become the fifth.
The former Group 1 winning Zabeel five-year-old has been a super force for Moody with a number of big runs over her 23 start career to date including her 2011 Schweppes Oaks success and big third behind Dunaden in last year’s Caulfield Cup.
On Saturday she will look to add a second elite level to her title in the $500,000 Group 1 Doomben Cup (2000m), an event she finished a close second behind Mawingo in 12 months ago before taking out the Group 2 Eagle Farm Cup (2200m) and Group 2 Brisbane Cup (2400m) at Eagle Farm the next month.
She improved on her second in the AD Hollindale Stakes at the Gold Coast from 2012 last start when beating home a field full of fellow Doomben Cup hopefuls in the Group 2 1800m showdown and will now look to do the same in the Group 1 at Doomben.
Her good recent form and affinity for Brisbane has seen Lights Of Heaven open equal favourite with Hollindale runner-up and Ranvet Stakes winner Foreteller at a quote of $3.70 in the Doomben Cup odds.
But can she make it three wins on the trot and continue the good form of Hollindale winners in the Doomben Cup?
#9 Lights Of Heaven – Horse Form
- Barrier: 5
- Jockey: Luke Nolen
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: Mrs J M Wanless
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Zabeel (NZ) from I’m In Heaven (NZ)
- Career: 23-8-4-3
- Win: 34.78%
- Place: 65.22%
- Last 6: 0x0211
- Prize Money: $1,560,488
- Track: 1-0-1-0
- Distance: 6-2-1-2
- Current 2013 Doomben Cup Odds: $3.70
Yes – Lights Of Heaven Can Win the Doomben Cup 2013
- Drawn ideally in barrier five which produced last year’s Doomben Cup winner Mawingo
- Regular rider Luke Nolen stays on
- Comes off back-to-back wins over 2000m and 1800m respectively
- Won the Hollindale last time out beating fellow Doomben Cup rivals including Foreteller (2nd) and Lamasery (4th)
- The Hollindale Stakes has produced eight of the past 10 Doomben Cup winners
- Four horses since 2002 have completed the Hollindale – Doomben Cup double most recently Metal Bender (2010)
- Former Group 1 winner and has form around the best stayers in the business
- Was second in this race 12 months ago on the back of a Hollindale second
- Loves Brisbane and has a great record here and is one of only three in the race with a top three finish at Doomben
- Also boasts a great record over the distance (6-2-1-2)
No – Lights Of Heaven Won’t Complete the Hollindale – Doomben Cup Double
- Only held off Foreteller by a quarter length in the Hollindale and over an extra 200m Chris Waller’s import could be poised to strike
- Favourites only have a fair record in the race with three wins in the past decade and 11 in the past 30 years
- Could have peaked in the Hollindale?
- Better for a Place bet with a 65.22% place rate which is the third best in the field compared to a much lower winning percentage
Whether you’re backing or sacking Moody’s mare in the Doomben Cup betting this weekend make sure the odds you lock in are the best possible by punting online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous Bonus $500 Bet Offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.