Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This weekend Darren Weir’s talented Ballarat-based mare Platelet will be out to complete the same Group 1 Adelaide sprint double Black Caviar achieved 12 months ago when the Robert Sangster Stakes winner backs up in the 2013 The Goodwood.
The four-year-old daughter of Strategic has been on fire this time in progressing from a good first-up third at Caulfield when carrying 60.5kg to victory to her breakthrough Group 1 victory in the Robert Sangster at Morphettville on April 27.
On Saturday Platelet will vie for back-to-back Group 1 wins when she takes on a class field of fellow sprinters in the $500,000 Group 1 The Distinctive Homes Goodwood (1200m).
She has the ideal draw (5) and gun jockey Ben Melham staying on who is confident she can handle the tough set weights plus penalties conditions where she will meet the 58.5kg topweight and early $2.10 favourite Moment Of Change.
“I’ve had a bit to do with her and it didn’t surprise me, as from the first moment in trackwork when I rode her she had a great turn of foot,” he said of her win in the Robert Sangster.
“She’s well drawn and in great form (for Saturday).”
So is Platelet a genuine chance at $12 in The Goodwood odds, or will she find this one a bit too tough?
#2 Platelet – Horse Form
- Barrier: 5 (into 4)
- Jockey: Ben Melham
- Trainer: Darren Weir
- Owners: Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock Pty Ltd, Mr G Holt, Mr G H Forbes, Mr J Macdonald, Mr P L Brittain, Mr B R Fellows, Mr A C Downing, Mr M D Goodridge, Mrs W J Weir, Pinbak, Inas Racing, Mrs E Edwards
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Strategic from Bloodline
- Career: 18-6-5-5
- Win: 33.33%
- Place: 88.89%
- Last 6: 25×321
- Prize Money: $625,975
- Track: 2-1-1-0
- Distance: 7-4-1-0
- Current 2013 The Goodwood Odds: $12
Pros for Backing Platelet in The Goodwood 2013 Odds
- Should get a gun run from barrier four (in from five) which is one on the inside of favourite Moment Of Change and a far better spot than gate 11 of 12 which she overcame to win the Robert Sangster last start
- Group 1 winner at the track and distance last time out where she defeated The Goodwood second favourite Yosei ($8), who ran third, by more than a length
- Has confidence of regular jockey Ben Melham on her side whop has ridden her for all three of her good runs this time in
- Melham is on fire winning big races across three states in as many weeks with Mystic Prince int eh WA Derby, the Robert Sangster with Platelet and then the SA Derby with Escado
- Last year’s The Goodwood winner Black Caviar came via a win in the Robert Sangster the same way as Platelet does this year
- Good record at the track (2-1-1-0) and has won four of their seven starts over the distance (7-4-1-0)
- Fourth best Win Rate of the field (33.33%)
Cons for Platelet Winning the 2013 The Goodwood
- Weights definitely not in her favour as she meets Moment Of Change only two kilos better in the weights and gives Robert Sangster third placed Yosei, who carried equal 56.5kg with Platelet in that run, four kilos this weekend
- Better for a Place bet with the second highest Place percentage of the field (88.89%)
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.