This Saturday Jason McLachlan’s smart sunny coast galloper Facile Tigre will head to Adelaide attempting to break their Group 1 maiden in the 2013 The Goodwood, but does the six-year-old stand a chance?
Many are saying that the field for the $500,000 Group 1 The Goodwood (1200m) is only moderate this year after the class Black Caviar bought to the Morphettville feature last Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival.
There are currently three single-figure fancies in The Goodwood odds with Facile Tigre occupying the third line of betting at a quote of $8 trailing only the Peter Moody-trained Moment Of Change ($2.10) and triple Group 1 winning mare Yosei ($8.50).
The Goodwood 2013 will be Facile Tigre’s fifth Group 1 assignment.
Their best effort at elite level came first-up at Caulfield back in February when they crossed a length away second to Mrs Onassis in the Oakleigh Plate improving on their third to Woorim in the same race 12 months earlier.
Having had a freshen up after that the Catbird gelding races again this weekend where their jockey Brad Rawiller, aboard for their Oakleigh second, is confident they can score an upset The Goodwood result.
“I’ve been riding him in his main gallops and a couple of jump-outs and I think he’s going better than he was before the Oakleigh Plate,” Rawiller said.
McLachlan will be hoping Rawiller is right, the trainer opting for the Adelaide feature over the Group 1 BTC Cup over the same distance in Brisbane at the same meeting based on the class of rivals and the extra $100,000 in prize money.
“I just thought it was a race with good prize money and was winnable,” he said.
“I’ve got a healthy respect for Moment Of Change but I think my horse will run really well.”
#7 Facile Tigre – Horse Post
- Barrier: 8 (into 7)
- Jockey: Brad Rawiller
- Trainer: Jason McLachlan
- Owners: Yarraman Park Stud, Mr T J Hughes, Mrs J A Hughes, Mr M D Sullivan, Harvard, Mr D A R Ryan, Mr P J Harris
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Catbird from Cotton Bay
- Career: 20-7-4-3
- Win: 35.00%
- Place: 70.00%
- Last 6: 3007×2
- Prize Money: $447,400
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 10-4-1-1
- Current 2013 The Goodwood Odds: $8
Why Facile Tigre Can Win the 2013 The Goodwood
- Comes off a career best run when second in the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate (1100m) back in February
- Has the confidence of regular rider Brad Rawiller who was aboard for their Oakleigh second
- Runs well fresh and races for the first time since the Oakleigh back in late February
- Has been set for this since their first-up run
- Scored a sensational barrier trail win last month at Werribee where he easily put 3.5 lengths on the others including The Goodwood second pick Yosei
- Should get a gun run from barrier 7 (in from 8 after the scratching of #9 Shellscrape)
- Boasts the third highest Win Rate of the field with 35.00%
- Also has a decent record over the distance (10-4-1-1)
Why Facile Tigre Won’t be The Goodwood 2013 Winner
- Gives the fitness advantage away to a number of runners racing really well this time in including #17 Yosei ($8) who was third in the Robert Sangster Stakes here recently
- Needs to beat a few proven Group 1 winners here including the favourite #1 Moment Of Change ($2.10
- Could be better for a Place bet based on their 70% top three percentage
Think Facile Tigre can upset the favourites? Or fancy them for an Each Way wager just to cover bases?