This Saturday Stuart Webb’s $1.26 million earning mare Yosei will look to add a fourth Group 1 title to her record and break a lengthy winning drought when she takes on hot favourite Moment Of Change in Adelaide’s The Goodwood 2013.
The now five-year-old daughter of Invincible Spirit made her first trip to Morphettville since her second ever start back in February of 2010 last month when running a brave third to Platelet in the Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m).
“That’s where she was at home, she’s been terrific,” Webb said of her last start.
“She’s still got plenty up her sleeve but she’s fit enough to be winning on Saturday.”
She stays on during the Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival this weekend too looking to improve on that run with a win in the $500,000 Group 1 The Goodwood (1200m).
In the Robert Sangster Yosei, who hasn’t won a race since the 2011 Tattersall’s Tiara in Brisbane, carried 56.5kg.
Dropping back to 52.5kg under the set weights plus penalties conditions of The Goodwood she certainly looks well weighted especially as the Peter Moody-trained favourite Moment Of Change ($2.10) has 58.5kg, much to Webb’s surprise.
“I knew we would be down in the weights, but I misread the conditions of the penalties,” Webb told The Advertiser this week.
“They’re only inclusive of dates since August 2011.”
Yosei currently occupies the second line of The Goodwood betting at a quote of $8.
But does she have what it takes to break her two year losing streak?
Or will she have to settle for another Group 1 minor place?
Webb certainly thinks she’s in with a shot.
“She’s just had a couple of little issues that weren’t her fault, a hoof issue and something else just little things like that,” he said defending her two years outside of the winners’ stall.
“She’s still run third in a Toorak and third in a Doncaster and when you’re competing at the highest level that just happens.”
All she needs on Saturday then is the right run with plenty of speed on early.
“When you’re a backmarker you always need luck,” he said.
“Provided there’s a bit of pace in the race and we can get some clear running, she won’t be far away.
“The Goodwoods – they always fan out and go hard up front, so fingers crossed that’s the case.”
#17 Yosei – Horse Form
- Barrier: 9 (into 8)
- Jockey: Michelle Payne
- Trainer: Stuart Webb
- Owners: Mr J W Pittard, Mr R Mcclure, Mr P C Mcclure
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Invincible Spirit from Fuji Fairy
- Career: 33-4-1-4
- Win: 12.12%
- Place: 27.27%
- Last 6: 3040×3
- Prize Money: $1,266,075
- Track: 2-0-1-1
- Distance: 7-0-1-1
- Current 2013 The Goodwood Odds: $8
Why Yosei Can Win The Goodwood 2013
- Well positioned in gate eight (originally in barrier nine before early scratching of #9 Shellscrape) which will give jockey Michelle Payne options
- Barrier eight is the most successful in the race’s history producing five previous winners
- Regular rider Payne knows the horse extremely well and was aboard last start as well as for all three of her Group 1 victories to date
- Triple Group 1 winner and really nice place record at elite level
- Always honest and capable of a big run when in-form
- Looks to be that (in good form) based on their nice first-up third in the Robert Sangster at this track and distance
- Faces Robert Sangster winner #2 Platelet ($12) again here but gets a four kilo weight relief carrying just 52.5kg
- Also meets the favourite #1 Moment Of Change ($2.10) a very helpful six kilos better off
- Gender is a non-issue with three female The Goodwood winners in the past decade including last year’s champ Black Caviar
- Seems to run well at Morphettville (2-0-1-1)
Why Yosei Cannot Take out the 2013 The Goodwood Trophy
- Has the worst Place rate of the field (27.27%) and the second worst winning rate of just 12.12%
- Knows how to run well but not win?
- Hasn’t won a race since the winter of 2011 so it’s been a long time between drinks
- Faces some far more consistent runners and Group performers here
- Has failed to win any of her seven starts over the distance (7-0-1-1)
Think Yosei is worth a look for an Each Way wager this weekend? Visit bookmaker.com.au now and get her, or any of her The Goodwood rivals, at the guaranteed best prices as well as enjoying a $500 bonus sign-up bet as a welcome to the bookmaker.com.au club!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change