The Team Snowden trained Calanda will carry the...
After scoring Adelaide’s premier sprint The Goodwood 12 months ago with his flawless turf queen Black Caviar, Victoria’s leading trainer Peter Moody returns to Morphettville this weekend aiming for another win in the autumn classic with Moment Of Change.
Running as Race 7 at 4:05pm (local time) this Saturday, the $500,000 Group 1 The Distinctive Homes Goodwood (1200m) originally drew 18 acceptors for the 2013 edition.
The field however is down to 17 with the early scratching of #9 Shellscrape.
Latest The Goodwood odds are led by Moody’s Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes winner Moment Of Change who pays $2.10 to secure their second Group 1 victory.
The Barley A Moment four-year-old had two good runs earlier this prep when second in both the Lighting Stakes to Black Caviar and the Newmarket Handicap to Shamexpress, but failed to continue the good form last start when dead last behind Pierro in the Canterbury Stakes on March 23.
Ready to bounce back here Moment Of Change is now in barrier five for The Goodwood, but can they overcome their 58.5kg topweight and poor last start to win?
Moody certainly believes so.
“He’s just done super since he failed in Sydney,” the master trainer said.
“I know he’s done half of his racing in Sydney but I think that he is far more effective this way of going.
“He showed with a big weight and being left in front so far from home in the Newmarket that he is a great sprinter.
“Moment of Change has a great record in Group 1 races and since he’s been back from Sydney we have been pleased with him.
“I took him to Sandown to trial and he went super and that made our minds up for us to push on to South Australia.”
#1 Moment Of Change – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 6 (into 5)
- Jockey: Luke Nolen
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: Slade Moment, Mr J M Barnett, M J W, Mr H D J Sonnenberg, D T K, Mr G Neradovsky, Mr A Davis, Mr R Peck, Mr R K Cook, Mr A Kheir
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Barley A Moment from Europium
- Career: 12-5-2-3
- Win: 41.67%
- Place: 38.33%
- Last 6: 31×220
- Prize Money: $689,888
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 4-2-1-1
- Current 2013 The Goodwood Odds: $2.10
Yes – Moment Of Change Can Win The Goodwood 2013
- Should get a gun run from barrier five, better than their barrier nine of 10 draw in the Canterbury, which is similar to the gate they jumped from when a nose away second in the Newmarket two back and which has produced three previous The Goodwood winners
- Moody’s number one jockey Luke Nolen rides, having been aboard for three of their past four runs including their Sir Rupert Clark Stakes victory
- Nolen rode last year’s The Goodwood winner Black Caviar to victory for Moody so there’s form on the trainer and jockey here
- Great record over the distance (4-2-1-1)
- Can be forgiven for their last run
- Is a Group 1 winner so has class
- Boasts the best Win Rate of the field with 41.67% as well as an excellent Place percentage of 83.33%
No – Moment Of Change Won’t be the 2013 The Goodwood winner
- Yet to race in Adelaide
- Needs to bounce back after a failed effort in the Canterbury last time out
- Carries the 58.5kg top-weight giving the second favourite #17 Yosei ($8) a full six kilo advantage
- Some other smart types in the mix at juicy prices with claims for an upset including Robert Sangster winner #2 Platelet ($12) and the in-form #3 General Truce ($18)
- Favourites have a poor record in The Goodwood – Black Caviar (2012) just the second in the past 10 years to salute and just the fourth since 1983
Whether you’re backing or sacking the Moody-trained favourite in this year’s The Goodwood, make sure you lock in the right prices be betting online at bookmaker.com.au where you can also pick your own odds on the race!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.