Top tier racing returns to Queensland on Saturday as the 2013 Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival kicks off with a mouth-watering clash in the Group 1 2013 BTC Cup (1200m) at Eagle Farm.
Due to jump as the seventh race on the program at 3:40pm, the BTC Cup boasts a quality 11-horse field including some of the nation’s best sprinters.
Favourite in the BTC Cup betting market is Queensland’s reigning horse of the year Buffering ($2.50) who will be out to get a Group 1 monkey off his back when jumping from barrier seven.
But the five-year-old faces some stiff competition including from defending champion Sea Siren ($5.50) and electric Sydney sprinter Rain Affair ($5).
So will it come down to the top-line trio?
Can Buffering finally get that Group 1?
Or will a roughie salute in the Brisbane feature sprint?
Keep reading for some key form stats and insights to help decide your BTC Cup winning picks.
2013 BTC Cup Form Guide Facts and Stats
- No horse has gone back-to-back in the event since Buck’s Pride in 1994, Sea Siren will attempt that this year.
- Females have won the last two BTC Cups. Sea Siren and Emmalene are the only two mares in the race. No fillies.
- Last year’s winner Sea Siren jumped from barrier 5.
- Reflectance, Better Than Ready and Your Song will look to make it two straight for three-year-olds in the race
- Prior to Sea Siren’s win last year three-year-olds had only won once in the past decade (Duporth,2009)
- There are two Group 1 winners in the race – Temple Of Boom and Sea Siren.
- There are three last-start winners in the field – Buffering, Rarefied and Better Than Ready.
- Buffering has 7/20 at the distance but 3/4 at track and distance.
- Rain Affair has won 4/7 at the distance. Yet to race in Queensland.
- Sea Siren starred in Brisbane last winter but was ninth in only Eagle Farm start in Stradbroke Handicap.
- The only horse unbeaten at track and distance is Better Than Ready. 2/5 over the distance.
- The only horse yet to win over the distance is Your Song.
- Interstate raiders have had the edge in the race. Falvelon (2003) and Albert The Fat (2010) are the only Queenslanders to win in the past decade.
BTC Cup 2013 – Form Guide
|1.||BUFFERING||R L Heathcote||Damian Browne||7||58.5||5yoG||14||$72,416||31: 12 7 4||38.71%||74.19%||1168×1|
|2.||RAIN AFFAIR||Joseph Pride||Hugh Bowman||2||58.5||5yoG||14||$62,333||20: 11 4 0||55.00%||75.00%||48×442|
|3.||TEMPLE OF BOOM||T J Gollan||Glen Colless||9||58.5||6yoG||14||$31,928||38: 10 4 6||26.32%||52.63%||50×757|
|4.||SPIRIT OF BOOM||T J Gollan||Michael Cahill||11||58.5||5yoH||14||$27,208||37: 6 8 5||16.22%||51.35%||3×3662|
|5.||RAREFIED||Peter Snowden||Michael Rodd||6||58.5||6yoG||14||$26,833||18: 4 5 5||22.22%||77.78%||222×41|
|6.||JETSET LAD||J R Wheeler||Not Notified||10||58.5||5yoG||21||$7,019||34: 5 7 6||14.71%||52.94%||200633|
|7.||BETTER THAN READY||K M Schweida||Ric Mc Mahon||8||57||3yoC||21||$32,800||10: 6 1 1||60.00%||80.00%||1×2151|
|8.||YOUR SONG||A J Cummings||Peter Robl||5||57||3yoC||217||$30,947||6: 2 1 2||33.33%||83.33%||11283x|
|9.||REFLECTANCE||John Thompson||Timothy Bell||1||57||3yoC||147||$14,486||7: 3 2 0||42.86%||71.43%||21217x|
|10.||SEA SIREN||J A O’shea||Jimmy Cassidy||3||56.5||4yoM||28||$119,372||13: 6 2 1||46.15%||69.23%||129×85|
|11.||EMMALENE||L F Birchley||Chris Munce||4||56.5||4yoM||21||$15,836||14: 4 2 0||28.57%||42.86%||80×102|
Form guide credit – Sportsbet.