This weekend in Adelaide a field full of quality three-year-old stayers will face off in the 2013 South Australian Derby with David Hayes’ up-and-comer Gerontius being tipped as a genuine chance to upset the favourites.
Betting on the $500,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m) at Morphettville Racecourse was originally dominated by co-favourites Hvasstan from Melbourne and Richard Jolly’s locally-trained Hioctdane.
However recent changes in the SA Derby odds has seen a new favourite rise to the top with Shoreham backed into $4 following their emphatic last start victory over the distance back home at Flemington last month.
Oratorio gelding Gerontius from Melbourne meanwhile is the only other single-figure fancy in the markets paying $8.50 to score an upset South Australian Derby 2013 result on Saturday.
Drawn nicely in gate two one inside the favourite Shoreham (3), Gerontius will be ridden by top jockey Dwayne Dunn for their acid test in Adelaide, the three-year-old coming off a brave fourth to superstar Kiwi It’s A Dundeel in the Group 1 Australian Derby (2400m).
The ATC Derby has proved a nice form race leading into the South Australian edition in recent years but will that remain true this autumn with Gerontius?
#4 Gerontius – Horse Form
- Barrier: 2
- Jockey: Dwayne Dunn
- Trainer: David Hayes
- Owners: Mr R G Seldon, Mr T J N Beyer, Mr S A Bennett, Mr D R Seldon
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Oratorio (IRE) from Bunda Grande
- Career: 10-2-1-2
- Win: 20%
- Place: 50%
- Last 6: x91454
- Prize Money: $130,895
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2013 SA Derby Odds: $8.50
Pros For Backing Gerontius in the South Australian Derby 2013
- Their last start fourth in the Australian Derby was brave and two of the past 10 SA Derby winners came via this same lead-up race
- Should handle the 2500m here having run a strong mile and a half there
- Good barrier two draw one inside the favourite Shoreham so should get a nice run on their back
- Gate two is one of the most successful in the past three decades producing four previous winners
- Will benefit from having Dwayne Dunn in the saddle who knows the horse well having ridden them three times before including their Sandown-Hillside win over 1800m in March
- Victorian raiders have a good record in the race including 12 months ago with Zabeelionaire winning
Cons Against a 2013 South Australian Derby Win by Gerontius
- Only has a 20% Win Rate
- Could find themselves outclassed again here if they don’t get a sweet run
- Needs to beat Hvasstan ($4.20) and Hioctdane ($4.40)
Read enough to suggest Gerontius can be competitive in the SA Derby 2013 and want to lock them in for an Each Way wager?