There are four horses under double figures to win the South Australian Derby 2013 at Adelaide’s Morphettville Racecourse this Saturday but only one of them is a winner over the distance with Shoreham firming into the new favourite in the classic.
Saab Hasan’s classy Victorian visitor goes into the $500,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m) on the back of a big win back home at Flemington over the same distance having won the Listed Galilee Series Final by an impressive three and a half lengths on April 13.
While there is a notable class rise for the Reset gelding going into the SA Derby, their good recent form has earned them a shot at the title and the bookies are taking no chances with them as they have firmed into the $4 favourite at bookmaker.com.au.
So can Shoreham outstay their rivals including fellow Victorian Hvasstan ($4.20) who has three Group 1 runs behind them already and exciting local runner Hioctdane ($4.40) who won a Group 3 at this track last Saturday?
Or will Shoreham struggle to handle the step up to Group 1 company?
#3 Shoreham – Horse Form
- Barrier: 3
- Jockey: Chris Symons
- Trainer: Saab Hasan
- Owners: Mr T W Minett, Mr G W Minett, Ms L C Minett, Ms K L Minett, Mrs S E Minett
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: Reset from Teneales Pearl
- Career: 10-2-1-2
- Win: 20%
- Place: 50%
- Last 6: 503321
- Prize Money: $189,515
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-1-0-0
- Current 2013 SA Derby Odds: $4
Why New SA Derby 2013 Favourite Shoreham Can Win
- Has come up trumps with barrier three while the other top fancies #1 Hvasstan (11) and #2 Hioctdane (15) both have wide draws to overcome
- Won over the 2500m last start at Flemington in the Listed Galilee Series Final thriving over the distance with a big 3.5 length effort
- Only horse in the field with previous winning form over the distance
- Galilee winning jockey Chris Symons stays on
- Jumped from a similar gate for that win (2 of 13) so Saturday’s draw is going to suit their racing style
- Has progressed nicely through all their runs this year and if they continue the trend could be hard to beat in this
- Victorian-trained Zabeelionaire won this race 12 months ago on the back of a win at home so form is right
Why Shoreham Won’t Win the 2013 SA Derby
- Only has a 20% winning strike rate so could be better for a Place bet having run top three in 50% of their starts
- Needs to step up to Group 1 company for this not having beaten much last start
- Has the form over the distance but whether they have the class is yet to be determined
- Some tough rivals to get home ahead of including former co-favourites Hvasstan and Hioctdane
- Yet to race in Adelaide
Think the heavy money rolling in for Shoreham is deserved and want to get on the trail? Back them now online at bookmaker.com.au enjoying a bonus $500 bet as a new depositing customer when you quote the exclusive codeword BONUSBET!