Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
There are four horses under double figures to win the South Australian Derby 2013 at Adelaide’s Morphettville Racecourse this Saturday but only one of them is a winner over the distance with Shoreham firming into the new favourite in the classic.
Saab Hasan’s classy Victorian visitor goes into the $500,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m) on the back of a big win back home at Flemington over the same distance having won the Listed Galilee Series Final by an impressive three and a half lengths on April 13.
While there is a notable class rise for the Reset gelding going into the SA Derby, their good recent form has earned them a shot at the title and the bookies are taking no chances with them as they have firmed into the $4 favourite at bookmaker.com.au.
So can Shoreham outstay their rivals including fellow Victorian Hvasstan ($4.20) who has three Group 1 runs behind them already and exciting local runner Hioctdane ($4.40) who won a Group 3 at this track last Saturday?
Or will Shoreham struggle to handle the step up to Group 1 company?
#3 Shoreham – Horse Form
- Barrier: 3
- Jockey: Chris Symons
- Trainer: Saab Hasan
- Owners: Mr T W Minett, Mr G W Minett, Ms L C Minett, Ms K L Minett, Mrs S E Minett
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: Reset from Teneales Pearl
- Career: 10-2-1-2
- Win: 20%
- Place: 50%
- Last 6: 503321
- Prize Money: $189,515
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-1-0-0
- Current 2013 SA Derby Odds: $4
Why New SA Derby 2013 Favourite Shoreham Can Win
- Has come up trumps with barrier three while the other top fancies #1 Hvasstan (11) and #2 Hioctdane (15) both have wide draws to overcome
- Won over the 2500m last start at Flemington in the Listed Galilee Series Final thriving over the distance with a big 3.5 length effort
- Only horse in the field with previous winning form over the distance
- Galilee winning jockey Chris Symons stays on
- Jumped from a similar gate for that win (2 of 13) so Saturday’s draw is going to suit their racing style
- Has progressed nicely through all their runs this year and if they continue the trend could be hard to beat in this
- Victorian-trained Zabeelionaire won this race 12 months ago on the back of a win at home so form is right
Why Shoreham Won’t Win the 2013 SA Derby
- Only has a 20% winning strike rate so could be better for a Place bet having run top three in 50% of their starts
- Needs to step up to Group 1 company for this not having beaten much last start
- Has the form over the distance but whether they have the class is yet to be determined
- Some tough rivals to get home ahead of including former co-favourites Hvasstan and Hioctdane
- Yet to race in Adelaide
Think the heavy money rolling in for Shoreham is deserved and want to get on the trail? Back them now online at bookmaker.com.au enjoying a bonus $500 bet as a new depositing customer when you quote the exclusive codeword BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.