Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The race offering the most prize money this weekend is Adelaide’s $500,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m), the Races.com.au team’s insider betting tips and exotic selections for the Morphettville feature listed below.
The SA Derby 2013 is due to run as Race 7 on Saturday at 3:35pm (AEST) and has drawn a final field of 15 hopefuls, the current favourite of which is Shoreham who has been well backed in from $4.60 to $4 at bookmaker.com.au over the past 24 hours.
Visiting from Flemington the progressive Reset gelding has been racing in top form, albeit against lesser rivals, in Melbourne over the past month or so including their eye-catching win last time out at their home track when beating home Bel Thor – a $41 outsider in Saturday’s showdown – by 3.5 lengths in the Listed Galilee Series Final (2500m).
Proven over the distance and drawn ideally in barrier three Shoreham ticks a number of boxes and the punters are jumping on the bandwagon.
The other two top fancies are former equal favourites Hvasstan ($4.20) who comes off two Group 1 runs behind It’s A Dundeel in Sydney, and the top local hope Hioctdane ($4.40) after their second win at the track in as many weeks.
So are these three the ones to back in your South Australian Trifecta bets this weekend?
Or is there more value to be found getting behind a longer priced runner such as ATC Derby fourth placegetter Gerontius ($8.50), local Royal Academy filly Molto Bene ($11), the Michael Kent-trained VRC St Leger runner-up McNulty ($13) or even last start Bendigo winner Packing Empire ($19)?
Earlier we published our exclusive South Australian Derby 2013 Form Guide & Betting Preview and based on the must know facts discovered there we’ve come up with our top chances.
#2 Hioctdane ($4.40)
- Money’s been coming for Hvasstan at $4.20 but this local is a surprising market drifter and looks great value
- Still achievable from barrier 15 as 14 SA Derby winners over the past 30 years have jumped from double digits
- Backs up seven days after a 4.5 length Group 3 Chairman’s Veolia Stakes win at the same track
- Only previous winner at Morphettville
- Racing there like they wouldn’t mind a mile and a half, get 100m more than that here and should get the distance without issue
- Highest Win Rate of the field (37.50%)
#8 McNulty ($13)
- Drawn ideally in barrier five which is the most successful SA Derby barrier in the past three decades producing five previous winners
- Is a maiden and only lightly raced with seven starts but don’t let that fool you – trainer Mick Kent has won bigger races with similar form
- Two big runs over big distances at Flemington last month leading into this and looks one of the best able to handle the 2500m
- Fourth to Shoreham in the Galilee Series Final then second to Hippopus in the VRC St Leger (2800m) on Anzac Day in an eye catching run
- Should improve again here and going back 300m will see them nice and sharp
#3 Shoreham ($4)
- Can see why the money is coming for the newly installed favourite who ticks a number of boxes
- Perfectly positioned in barrier three which gives them the advantage over the widely drawn Hvasstan (11) and Hioctdane (15) and which is a similar draw to gate two (of 13) which they jumped and won from last start
- Last start winner over the distance (2500m) in the Galilee Series Final which they won by 3.5 lengths
Whether you’re backing or sacking our SA Derby selections the prices you’re after for all the weekend’s racing can be found online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $500 bonus sign-up bet this autumn!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.