Chris Waller’s fillies dominate the nominations...
Two horses are currently battling for favouritism in the markets for Wednesday’s 2013 Wangoom Handicap which is one of the early features of the always popular Warrnambool Racing Carnival.
Due to light up the track as Warrnambool Race 7 at 3:15pm (local), this year’s $150,000 Listed Midfield Group Wangoom Handicap (1200m) has attracted a bumper field of 16 acceptors and four emergencies which is the race capacity.
Of the hopefuls there are two currently topping the Wangoom Handicap odds at a quote of $4.60 with Wealth Princess and That’s The One – both drawn awkwardly in double digits.
The veteran Darren Weir-trained seven-year-old mare Wealth Princess (barrier 19) races for the first time in nearly a year having last been seen beating home just one other runner when 17th to Mid Summer Music in the Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) in Brisbane last June.
Earlier that prep she enjoyed a Group 3 win in the Glenlogal Park Handicap at Doomben and is also a Group 1 performer having finished second to Melito in the Winter Stakes in June of 2010 before injury saw her spend the next two years on the sidelines.
Her biggest danger first-up this week comes from barrier 12 with Colin and Cindy Alderson’s Snippetson four-year-old That’s The One who will be ridden by Glen Boss on just 54kg.
The gelding resumed at Flemington on April 13 and ran a credible second to General Truce in a 1000m sprint, an effort they should be able to improve on as they go up to the 1200m.
Incredibly despite the full field there is just one other runner under double figures in the Wangoom Handicap betting markets with the Leon Corstens-trained Tokugawa, also resuming here not having raced since the Melbourne Cup Carnival, paying $6.
Other notable hopefuls at longer odds that could prove a nice value bet in this mid-week feature then include:
- #3 Zamorar ($12) – David Bourne’s talented four-year-old was in top form during the spring in Melbourne including their Group 3 Bletchingly Stakes second and Lawrence Stakes second also at Group 2 level, bummed out first-up when 13th in the Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes at Morphettville but the 1100m could have been a bit sharp and more distance back in Victoria will suit
- #1 Second Effort ($13) – Clinton McDonald-trained Mossman six-year-old has been disappointing of late including their 14th to Hot Snitzel in a Group 3 1200m Rosehill race on Golden Slipper Day, chance to get back to form here but needs to really show some improvement
- #7 Gybe ($13) – David Hayes’ Fastnet Rock mare has been scratched from five races on the trot leading up to her return, her last official start being in the Group 3 Birthday Card Stakes at Rosehill in March last year, has been a long journey back but if she starts her could be a top four chance
- #13 Le Remas ($14) – Five-year-old gelding comes off a fifth in the Kilmore Cup over the mile back in February, should be fresh for this and the drop back in distance will suit
- #6 Red Colossus ($15) – Brett Scott-trained six-year-old won the Koroit Cup (1700m) at this track back in January before a failed effort at Flemington, back after 12 weeks off at Cranbourne on April 12 when fifth in a Benchmark 89, did have a big 62kg for that (winner Avionics only had 55) and will relish the drop back to 54.5kg and barrier three here
2013 Wangoom Handicap Odds
Warrnambool Race 7 – 3:15pm (AEST) – 01/05/2013
|1||SECOND EFFORT (9)||13.00|
|2||WEALTH PRINCESS (19)||4.60|
|6||RED COLOSSUS (3)||15.00|
|8||WILD MIA (20)||21.00|
|9||CONSTANT FORCE (4)||26.00|
|10||THAT’S THE ONE (12)||4.60|
|11||ANOTHER PRELATE (17)||21.00|
|12||KING COTTON (5)||31.00|
|13||LE REMAS (2)||14.00|
|17e||DASH FOR VIZ (7)||17.00|
|18e||DEE BEE NINE (10)||26.00|
*Fixed Win odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.