Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
This afternoon the Chris Waller-trained Kelinni will line-up the pronounced favourite in the 2013 Sydney Cup after their good win at the track last Saturday, but can the exciting import handle the seven day back-up and score their first Group 1 success?
The Refuse To Bend five-year-old caught the eye in Sydney last spring winning the Group 3 Colin Stephen Quality (2400m) before their second to Glencadam Gold in the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) at Royal Randwick.
From there they went to Melbourne for the spring and earned a shot at the ‘race that stops a nation’ when taking out the Group 3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) at Flemington on Derby Day.
They were far from disgraced in the Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m) just three days later finishing fourth behind Green Moon before being sent out for a spell.
This time in Kelinni has had five runs, hitting good form two back when fourth to Fiveandahalfstar in the Group 1 The BMW (2400m).
From there they ran at Randwick last Saturday carrying a big 60kg weight to victory on a Heavy (10) track in the Listed Japan Racing Association Plate (2000m).
That was not a good distance for them, they had lots on their back and while there wasn’t much in the race it is still being spruiked as an impressive victory and lead-up into today’s $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Sydney Cup (3200m).
Proven at the two miles and dropping back to 57kg Kelinni is dominating the Sydney Cup betting markets into $2.70 now following this morning’s scratching of one of their major rivals – Chairman’s Quality winner Tremec.
Waller already has enjoyed a Group 1 win today with his impressive import and possible 2013 Cox Plate contender Reliable Man defeating odds-on favourite It’s A Dundeel in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes, the Sydney premiership leading trainer hoping to make it a double with Kelinni.
So is Kelinni really the one to beat? Is all the money rolling in for them going to be paid back to the punters? Below we have a look at the pros and cons of backing the 2013 Sydney Cup favourite.
#4 Kelinni – Horse Form
- Barrier: 7
- Jockey: Jim Cassidy
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: Mr F W Cook, Mr I Bruce, G G Ltd, Mr K J Hunt, Mr B L Mathieson, Mr R Smith, Mr R Portaro, Mr G R Stead, Werrett Bloodstock Pty Ltd, EST B A Wright
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Refuse To Bend from Orinoco
- Career: 24-9-3-3
- Win: 37.50%
- Place: 62.50%
- Last 6: x59641
- Prize Money: $934,302
- Track: 2-1-1-0
- Distance: 1-0-0-0
- Current 2013 Sydney Cup Odds: $2.70
Yes – Kelinni Will Win the 2013 Sydney Cup
- Deserved favourite and market mover in from $3 to $2.70
- Hall of famer Jim Cassidy rides
- Come off a strong win at the track last weekend in the wet
- Will appreciate a firmer track today, more ground and drop back from 60kg to 57kg here
- Proven two miler having run fourth in last year’s Melbourne Cup
- Good record at Randwick (2-1-1-0) with a win last start and their Group 1 The Metropolitan second
- Favourites have a great recent record in the race with six wins in the past decade
- Second best Win Rate of the field (37.5%)
- Was fourth in The BMW two back which last year’s Sydney Cup winner Niwot also ran in the lead-up
- Proved could handle a short back-up with Lexus Stakes – Melbourne Cup in the spring
No – Kelinni Won’t be the Sydney Cup Winner 2013
- Doubts about what they actually beat last Saturday and how that form will stack up
- Looked good when fourth in the Melbourne Cup but are they really a two miler having won over just 2000m last weekend
- Yes they had a three day back up in the spring but still need to pull out a big run with only seven days between runs here
- Some class stayers in the mix here that could surprise including 2010 Melbourne Cup runner-up Maluckyday ($4.40) and New Zealand Cup winner Blood Brotha ($9)
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.