Recently inducted Hall Of Fame trainer Chris...
The official headliner at Royal Randwick this Saturday, April 27, is the 2013 Sydney Cup where a field of genuine stayers will face off in the two mile classic – the Races.com.au’s insider form guide analysis and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Due to jump as Randwick Race 6 at 3:35pm (AEST) as one of a quartet of elite level features the $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Sydney Cup (3200m) this year features a final field of 11 hopefuls.
Steady favourite in the Sydney Cup odds is the Chris Waller-trained Kelinni at $3.20 after their win at the track in the JRA Plate during last Saturday’s mudbath.
The other single-figure fancies are then 2010 Melbourne Cup runner-up Maluckyday ($4.60) ready to return to form, the Gai Waterhouse-trained former favourite Julienas ($8) tipped to improve on their failed effort last time out, and Chairman’s Quality winner Tremec ($8) who has won four of their past five starts and who gets in with a nice 54.5kg weight.
So are these top four the ones to lock in for your Sydney Cup exotics this weekend?
Can Kelinni salute for the punters?
Or is there an upset Sydney Cup result on the cards in 2013 from the likes of New Zealand Cup winner Blood Brotha ($10), veteran stayer Mourayan ($11) or even the reigning champ Niwot ($15)?
Having gone over the full Sydney Cup field, form guide and history below we have the must know facts and stats on the classic for you to consult before placing your bets online at bookmaker.com.au!
2013 Sydney Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Sydney Cup winner was the Hawkes-trained Niwot who won on the back of two fourth places finishes (Ranvet Stakes, The BMW), jumped from barrier two (of 16) with Dwayne Dunn in the saddle with 55.5kg
- This year #2 Niwot ($15) is back to defend their title but have been out of form finishing eight (Ranvet) and 10th (The BMW) in the lead-up, have drawn gate eight with Kerrin McEvoy to ride on 58kg
- Barrier eight is actually the most successful Sydney Cup barrier in history by far is gate eight with eight winners
- Dwayne Dunn meanwhile will vie for back-to-back wins riding #5 Maluckyday ($4.60) this year who is the Hawkes’ better fancied hopeful
- Last year’s winning gate (2) belongs on Saturday to #1 Mourayan ($11) which has produced three previous winners
- Two other barriers have also had three past winners jump from them with gate four and five which belong this year to #9 Aliyana Tilde ($12) and #11 Macedonian ($51) respectively
- The only horse carrying last year’s winning weight (55.5kg) is then #6 Blood Brotha ($10)
- This year’s Sydney Cup favourite #4 Kelinni ($3.20) meanwhile comes off a fourth in The BMW as Niwot did last year
- #4 Kelinni also contested the Ranvet Stakes finishing sixth
- Favourites have a good recent record in the race winning six of the past 10 editions; eight have won since 1983
- There are two last start winners in the mix with #4 Kelinni (Listed JRA Plate, 2000m, Randwick, 20/04/2013) and #8 Tremec (Group 2 Chairman’s Quality, 2600m, Randwick, 13/04/2013)
- The Chairman’s Quality has actually produced four of the past five Sydney Cup winners, #8 Tremec out to become the third in the past five years to take out the double and the fourth in the past decade joining Jessicabeel, No Wine No Song and Henderson Bay
- #8 Tremec ($8) also boasts the best Win Rate of the field with 40% followed by #4 Kelinni (37.50%) and #3 Julienas (31.58%)
- The highest Place Rate of the field then belongs to #3 Julienas (63.16%) followed by #4 Kelinni (62.50%) and #10 Coliseo (58.62%)
- Horses with the best winning record at the track are #1 Mourayan (4-1-2-0), #2 Niwot (3-1-0-0), #4 Kelinni (2-1-1-0), #5 Maluckyday (1-1-0-0) and #8 Tremec (1-1-0-0)
- Over the two miles the stayers to back are #2 Niwot (4-2-0-0), #6 Blood Brotha (5-2-0-0), #7 Norsqui (4-1-0-3) and #11 Macedonian (4-1-0-1)
- Geldings have the best record in the race over the past 10 years with seven victories, the other three were mares making stallions the outsiders; #1 Mourayan is the only stallion in the mix out to break this hoodoo this year
Think you’ve uncovered this year’s winning Sydney Cup trifecta based on the above? Then visit our number one recommended bookie bookmaker.com.au and bet with the best enjoying a $500 bonus bet if you are new to sign-up, deposit and quote the code BONUSBET!
2013 Sydney Cup Field & Form Guide
Royal Randwick Race 6 – 3:35pm (AEST) – 27/04/2013
|1.||MOURAYAN||Robert Hickmott||Hugh Bowman||2||58||7yoH||14||$45,528||37: 4 8 5||10.81%||45.95%||74×884|
|2.||NIWOT||“M, W and J Hawkes||Kerrin Mc Evoy||8||58||8yoG||21||$34,239||37: 9 4 1||24.32%||37.84%||0x6480|
|3.||JULIENAS||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||10||57.5||6yoG||14||$19,840||19: 6 3 3||31.58%||63.16%||2×8110|
|4.||KELINNI||C J Waller||Jimmy Cassidy||7||57||5yoG||7||$38,929||24: 9 3 3||37.50%||62.50%||x59641|
|5.||MALUCKYDAY||“M, W and J Hawkes||Dwayne Dunn||1||56.5||6yoG||21||$64,164||22: 5 3 3||22.73%||50.00%||0x5636|
|6.||BLOOD BROTHA||R M Connors||Michael Rodd||3||55.5||7yoG||14||$8,792||49: 8 5 3||16.33%||32.65%||910772|
|7.||NORSQUI||W N Mcshane||Chris Symons||6||55||6yoG||14||$17,859||37: 8 6 3||21.62%||45.95%||726419|
|8.||TREMEC||John Thompson||Craig Newitt||9||54.5||4yoG||14||$17,383||15: 6 2 0||40.00%||53.33%||811211|
|9.||ALIYANA TILDE||K J Parker||Craig Williams||4||54.5||4yoM||14||$17,233||18: 3 2 4||16.67%||50.00%||8×9313|
|10.||COLISEO||N F Gardner||Peter Robl||11||54.5||6yoG||14||$9,419||29: 6 6 5||20.69%||58.62%||042247|
|11.||MACEDONIAN||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||5||54.5||7yoG||21||$12,447||38: 5 2 6||13.16%||34.21%||354359|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.