Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
While Randwick Racecourse hosts four Group 1 features for Sydney Cup Day this Saturday over in Adelaide a double shot of elite level racing action is also on the cards at Morphettville including the 2013 Robert Sangster Stakes– our exclusive form guide and betting preview for which can be found right here.
Also known as the Sportingbet Classic, this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) is scheduled to run as Morphettville Race 5 at 2:35pm (local time).
A final field of 12 smart sprinters are engaged to face off with the Gerald Ryan-trained Snitzel filly Snitzerland due to jump as the odd-on favourite in the Robert Sangster Stakes odds the way Peter Moody’s turf queen Black Caviar did in the Adelaide classic 12 months ago.
Snitzerland currently pays $1.60 in the latest Robert Sangster Stakes betting markets and is followed by just two other single-figure chances with the Darren Weir-trained Platelet coming off a second in the RN Irwin Stakes at the track and local favourite Avoid Lightning at $9 for David Jolly.
So will this dominant trio take out the Robert Sangster Stakes trifecta in 2013?
Or is there a longer-priced roughie in the mix with claims for an upset including Moody’s RN Irwin Stakes winner Kulgrinda ($11) or Robert Smerdon’s young Victorian filly Shamal Wind ($11)?
Check out the must know facts on the race below taking into account the complete Robert Sangster Stakes form guide, field and betting history.
2013 Robert Sangster Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Robert Sangster Stakes winner was the Peter Moody-trained superstar Black Caviar who won the race first-up from barrier three (of 10) with Luke Nolen in the saddle
- This year Moody will vie for back-to-back wins with #2 Kulgrinda ($11) drawn wide in gate 12
- Last year’s winning barrier (3) belongs on Saturday to #4 Avoid Lightning ($9), the barrier having produced just the one previous winner
- The most successful Robert Sangster Stakes barrier with five past winners is gate nine which #11 Shamal Wind ($11) has drawn this year
- Midfield gates are statistically the best with six winners in the past 10 years starting from 10 – 14, and only four winners having jumped from 1 – 4 in the past three decades
- There are three last start winners in the mix this year with #2 Kulgrinda (Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes, 1100m, Morphettville, 13/04/2013), #7 Just Discreet (Listed Matrice Stakes, 1300m, Morphettville Parks, 23/03/2013) and #12 Angelic Light (3YO Open Handicap, 1200m, Moonee Valley, 22/03/2013)
- The best Win Rate belongs to the favourite #10 Snitzerland ($1.60) with 53.85% followed by #4 Avoid Lightning (50%) and #11 Shamal Wind (42.86%)
- #3 Platelet ($9) then boasts the highest Place Percentage with 88.24% having finished out of the money just twice in her 15-start career to date followed by #4 Avoid Lightning (83.33%) and #10 Snitzerland (76.92%)
- Horses with the best form at the track are #2 Kulgrinda (4-3-1-0), #4 Avoid Lightning (3-2-0-1), #8 Classy Chloe (3-2-0-0) and #9 Light Express (2-1-0-0)
- Over the distance the ones to back are #1 Snitzerland (9-5-1-0), #3 Platelet (6-3-1-0), #7 Just Discreet (7-3-0-3), #8 Classy Chloe (8-4-3-0), #11 Shamal Wind (4-1-1-1), #12 Angelic Light (5-3-1-1) and #5 Koonoomoo (14-3-2-2)
- There are then two last start winners at the track and distance with #7 Just Discreet (5-1-0-3) and #8 Classy Chloe (1-1-0-0)
- Favourites have won four of the past 10 editions of the race
Ready to get behind your favourites for the Robert Sangster Stakes 2013? Visit the country’s premier betting agency bookmaker.com.au now and enjoy a bet with the bookie rewarding new depositing customers with a bonus bet valued up to a juicy $500 this autumn!
2013 Robert Sangster Stakes Field & Form Guide
Morphettville Race 5 – 27/04/2013
|1.||YOSEI||S J Webb||Michelle Payne||6||56.5||5yoM||154||$38,496||32: 4 1 3||12.50%||25.00%||83040x|
|2.||KULGRINDA||P G Moody||Daniel Stackhouse||12||56.5||5yoM||14||$23,412||23: 9 4 0||39.13%||56.52%||515×41|
|3.||PLATELET||D K Weir||Ben Melham||11||56.5||4yoM||14||$21,822||17: 5 5 5||29.41%||88.24%||325×32|
|4.||AVOID LIGHTNING||D R Jolly||Matthew Neilson||3||56.5||4yoM||14||$22,171||12: 6 3 1||50.00%||83.33%||x21223|
|5.||KOONOOMOO||Rod Grantley||Nicholas Hall||10||56.5||5yoM||56||$14,704||26: 5 5 5||19.23%||57.69%||215373|
|6.||ALTAR||Peter Snowden||Brad Rawiller||7||56.5||4yoM||14||$29,845||11: 1 2 1||9.09%||36.36%||x42x48|
|7.||JUST DISCREET||P Stokes||Adrian Patterson||4||56.5||4yoM||35||$9,516||19: 4 4 4||21.05%||63.16%||163321|
|8.||CLASSY CHLOE||J E Hickmott||Joe Bowditch||8||56.5||4yoM||14||$13,840||15: 5 3 2||33.33%||66.67%||100×55|
|9.||LIGHT EXPRESS||M S Hibbs||Clare Lindop||1||56.5||5yoM||56||$6,553||20: 5 3 3||25.00%||55.00%||87×257|
|10.||SNITZERLAND||G A Ryan||Corey Brown||5||54.5||3yoF||28||$118,038||13: 7 3 0||53.85%||76.92%||156×12|
|11.||SHAMAL WIND||R W Smerdon||Michael Walker||9||54.5||3yoF||14||$25,929||7: 3 1 1||42.86%||71.43%||x10320|
|12.||ANGELIC LIGHT||R D Griffiths||Ryan Maloney||2||54.5||3yoF||36||$24,230||10: 4 2 1||40.00%||70.00%||643251|
*All odds quoted are provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.