Classy kiwi colt It’s A Dundeel has already proven himself a cut above his age group this autumn but he gets the chance to knock off the older horses on Saturday in the Group 1 2013 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) at Randwick.
It’s his first crack at a weight-for-age Group 1 but the bookies aren’t taking any chances and he’s currently a $1.40 favourite.
Michael Rodd replaces suspended jockey James McDonald and he’s picked up a ride on a near certainty after riding him in trackwork this week.
“I’ve just got to have average luck and stay out of trouble and should be home and hosed,” Rodd told AAP.
So will Sydney’s three-year-old triple crown winner be too strong against the older horses? Or will it be one run too many at the end of his campaign?
Keep reading for the key It’s A Dundeel stats as well as the pros and cons about his chances this weekend.
#9 It’s A Dundeel
- Barrier: 5
- Jockey: Michael Rodd
- Trainer: Murray Baker
- Owners: M M Andersen, Mrs J P Andersen, Mr M J Craig, Mrs S S Craig, Mr D C Morison, Ms J E Morison, Mr G P Chaplow, Mrs T P Andersen, Mr M P Brown, Mrs J M Brown, Mr T J Joyce, Mrs J Joyce, Mr A M Muollo, Mrs G Muollo, Mr D Focas, Mrs A F Focas
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by High Chaparral out of Stareel
- Career: 11-8-1-0
- Win: 73%
- Win and Place: 82%
- Last 6: 274111
- Prize Money: $2.02 million
- Track: 3-3-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-1-0
- Current 2013 Queen Elizabeth Stakes Odds: $1.40
Why It’s A Dundeel Can Win the 2013 Queen Elizabeth Stakes
- A natural racehorse who has won eight from 11
- Coming off three straight Group 1s including a six-length Australian Derby win
- At weight-for-age carries 55.5kg, 1.5kg less than mares and 3.5kg less than older males
- Unbeaten from three starts at Randwick
- Only last-start winner in the field
- Had three starts at 2000m for two wins and a second
Why It’s A Dundeel Can’t Win the 2013 Queen Elizabeth Stakes
- At the end of a long preparation, Derby was the aim
- Could it be one run too many?
- Untried at weight-for-age against the older horses
The Queen Elizabeth is part of four Group 1 races on Sydney Cup Day at Randwick and great odds can be found on all the action at bookmaker.com.au
Right now is the time to join the Australian-owned bookie who are offering an autumn special of a $500 bonus bet to new customers who join quoting the code BONUSBET!