The Chris Waller trained two year ods The...
One of the four Group 1 features at Randwick’s Sydney Cup Day on Saturday is the two-year-olds’ 2013 Champagne Stakes, an insider form guide break down and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Set to run as Sydney Cup Day Race 5 at 2:55pm (AEST) this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Champagne Stakes (1600m), which rounds out the 2YO Autumn Triple Crown, has attracted a final field of 14 juveniles.
Easing favourite in the Champagne Stakes odds is the Peter Snowden-trained Exceed And Excel filly Guelph out from $2.30 to $2.60 to post back-to-back Group 1 wins following her impressive ATC Sires Produce Stakes victory last start.
Other fancied rivals to the favourite then include David Payne’s Todman Stakes winning Sebring colt Criterion ($6), Todman runner-up Fast ‘N’ Rocking ($6.50) who ran a good fifth in the Golden Slipper last start and the Anthony Cummings-trained Magic Night Stakes champ Scandiva ($6.50) coming off a slashing second to Guelph in the Sires Produce.
So can Guelph follow in the now retired Pierro’s footsteps and win the ATC Sires Produce – Champagne Stakes double?
Will one of the other single-figure chances score an upset?
Or will there be a massive boil-over from the likes of emphatic five length winner at the track and distance last Saturday Riocetto ($13), Gai Waterhouse’s Sires Produce fifth placed Shahad ($13) or one of the early market movers Drago ($14)?
To save you stress and time our expert form analysts have gone over the Champagne Stakes field, form guide and betting history to come up with the must know facts on the event so you can bet with confidence at bookmaker.com.au!
2013 Champagne Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Champagne Stakes winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Pierro who came off four straight wins including the Todman, Golden Slipper and Sires Produce; they also jumped from barrier six (of nine) and were ridden by Nash Rawiller
- This year Waterhouse will vie for back-to-back wins with #8 Equator ($21) and #14 Shahad ($13) – last year’s winning hoop Rawiller on the former
- This year #11 Guelph ($2.60) comes off a Sires Produce Stakes win vying for the same double as Pierro and four others in the past 10 years
- #2 Criterion ($6) meanwhile won this year’s Todman Stakes
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) also belongs on Saturday to the favourite #11 Guelph which has produced the equal highest number of winners (six) with barrier seven which #1 Riocetto ($13) has drawn
- The next most successful Champagne Stakes gate is then number one with five wins with #3 Fast ‘N’ Rocking ($6.50) looking to become the sixth
- The only two horses with winning form at the track are #1 Riocetto (2-1-0-0) and #11 Guelph (2-1-1-0)
- Over the mile #1 Riocetto (1-1-0-0) is the only one with a previous win
- There are three last start winners in the race with #1 Riocetto (Listed Fernhill Handicap, 1600m, Randwick, 20/04/2013), the undefeated #8 Equator (2YO NMW Handicap, 1250m, Canterbury, 10/04/2013) and #11 Guelph (Group 1 ATC Sires Produce Stakes, 1400m, Randwick, 13/04/2013)
- #8 Equator (100%) boasts the best win rate followed by #2 Criterion (60.00%) and #11 Guelph (50.55%)
- Favourites have won four of the past 10 Champagne Stakes with only one failing to run in the top three making #11 Guelph a must for all exotics
- Colts have won five of the past 10 Champagne Stakes, fillies three and geldings just two
Put your new Champagne Stakes form and betting knowledge to good use by placing your bets online now at bookmaker.com.au where you will also have your first deposit matched 100 percent as a bonus bet valued up to $500 if you use the promo code BONUSBET!
2013 Champagne Stakes Field & Form Guide
Royal Randwick Race 5 – 2:55pm (AEST) – 27/04/2013
|1.||RIOCETTO||N J and C Voigt||Brenton Avdulla||7||56.5||2yoG||7||$21,233||3: 1 0 1||33.33%||66.67%||341|
|2.||CRITERION||David Payne||Hugh Bowman||8||56.5||2yoC||21||$89,390||5: 3 0 1||60.00%||80.00%||1×3116|
|3.||FAST ‘N’ ROCKING||D A Hayes||Steven Arnold||1||56.5||2yoC||21||$64,092||6: 0 2 0||0.00%||33.33%||x44225|
|4.||FUERZA||Bjorn Baker||Jimmy Cassidy||12||56.5||2yoC||7||$23,333||6: 0 3 1||0.00%||66.67%||224372|
|5.||CHARLIE BOY||G A Ryan||Christian Reith||10||56.5||2yoC||14||$30,850||5: 1 0 1||20.00%||40.00%||1×3486|
|6.||CHAMPOLLION||Peter Snowden||Not Notified||11||56.5||2yoC||14||$18,030||5: 1 0 1||20.00%||40.00%||8×3017|
|7.||HAVANA||Paul Messara||Craig Williams||4||56.5||2yoC||14||$12,000||3: 0 0 1||0.00%||33.33%||738|
|8.||EQUATOR||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||9||56.5||2yoG||17||$23,565||2: 2 0 0||100.00%||100.00%||11|
|9.||DRAGO||A J Cummings||Michael Rodd||14||56.5||2yoC||14||$13,375||2: 0 0 0||0.00%||0.00%||64|
|10.||STAR WARS||Scott Aspery||Kathy O’Hara||2||56.5||2yoC||7||$2,037||5: 0 0 1||0.00%||20.00%||39508|
|11.||GUELPH||Peter Snowden||Not Notified||6||54.5||2yoF||14||$112,417||6: 3 1 0||50.00%||66.67%||x11941|
|12.||SCANDIVA||A J Cummings||Peter Robl||5||54.5||2yoF||14||$48,116||5: 2 1 0||40.00%||60.00%||5×6112|
|13.||DIVA DEE||A J Cummings||Dwayne Dunn||13||54.5||2yoF||7||$13,708||6: 0 1 1||0.00%||33.33%||4×3495|
|14.||SHAHAD||Ms G Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||3||54.5||2yoF||14||$13,750||4: 0 1 1||0.00%||50.00%||3×925|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.