With the 2013 Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival just around the corner the action is beginning to heat up in the sunshine state and this weekend Doomben hosts the Group 2 2013 Victory Stakes (1200m).
Heading the Victory Stakes field and a short-priced favourite is Queensland’s reigning horse of the year, Buffering.
Rated a $1.80 chance the Robert Heathcote-trained gelding is running first-up and is expected to face most trouble from Peter Moody’s consistent sprinter Ready To Rip ($3.60).
Also in the small but quality field are Tony Gollan’s pair Temple Of Boom ($8), Spirit Of Boom ($9), Darley colt Albrecht ($10), local hope Startsmeup and Gollan’s third runner Listen Son ($51).
Need some help deciding your Victory Stakes picks? Then don’t worry, the Races.com.au experts have been hard at work studying the form and are here to bring you our expert tips!
#1 Buffering $1.80
- Queensland’s top sprinter and defending champion in the race
- Looks a class above his rivals
- Goes well fresh, five from six first-up
- His preferred distance, six wins over 1200m
- Has placed behind Black Caviar
- Quality record of 11 wins and 11 placings from 30 starts
- Has won twice at Doomben
#5 Ready To Rip $3.60
- From the stable of top trainer Peter Moody
- Third-up after a second and a win at Listed level in Melbourne
- Was second to Buffering in the Moir Stakes last year
- At his pet distance, five of his eight career wins have comver over 1200m
#3 Spirit Of Boom $9.00
- Consistent performer at Group level
- Was third in the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate earlier this year
- Regular placegetter at the spring carnival
- Has won twice over 1200m
- Placed four from eight starts at the track
Agree with our Victory Stakes selections? Fancy some of your own picks? Whoever you like, ensure you are getting great odds this weekend by betting at bookmaker.com.au, the preferred bookie of Races.com.au and home of the special autumn $500 bonus bet offer!