The Kris Lees trained Invincible Gem has been...
The big one in New South Wales this weekend is the Sydney Cup 2013 at Randwick Racecourse where a good line-up of 11 stayers will come face-to-face in one of the last remaining genuine two mile showdowns in Australia – our insider tips and betting selections for which are detailed below.
The $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Sydney Cup (3200m) is scheduled this Saturday as Randwick Race 6 at 3:35pm (AEST) as one of four Group 1 showdowns on a crack card for the last major Sydney Autumn Racing Carnivalmeeting.
Steady favourite in the Sydney Cup odds is the Chris Waller-trained Kellini who has been in great form all prep including their last start win at the track seven days earlier.
Paying $3.20 to win their first 3200m feature after a gallant fourth in last year’s Melbourne Cup Kelinni certainly looks good for the short back-up and the distance but there are a number of other genuine chances in the mix.
According to the bookies the biggest dangers to this year’s Sydney Cup betting favourite are the Hawkes-trained Maluckyday ($4.60) on the rails, last start Chairman’s Handicap winner Tremec ($8) and the Gai Waterhouse-trained Julienas ($8.50)?
This is what the odds say but after publishing our detailed Sydney Cup 2013 Form Guide & Betting Preview earlier the Races.com.au team is tipping a slightly different result.
#8 Tremec ($8)
- Super consistent horse having won four of their past five and ready to step it up in this
- No bad gate in an 11-horse field over 3200m so barrier nine presents no problems
- Gets in with just 54.5kg whereas the favourite Kelinni carries 57kg
- Winner of the Group 2 Chairman’s Quality (2600m) last start which appears the right form line for this race with four of the past five Sydney Cup winners have come via it
- Five horses in the past decade have also taken out the Chairman’s Quality – Sydney Cup double
- Most consistent horse in the field with a good win rate of 40%
- Distance looks no issue and looks an honest stayer based on the pace in the Chairman’s last start and his ability to finish off there
#4 Kelinni ($3.20)
- Favourites have a good recent record in the race with six wins in the past 10 years
- Proven over the distance running a good fourth in the Melbourne Cup last year
- Second highest Win Rate of the field with 37.5%
- Comes off two good runs having finished fourth in The BMW – the same race and position last year’s Sydney Cup winner Niwot came via – and their Listed JRA Plate win over the 2000m here last Saturday
- Carried 60kg in the JRA Plate on a Heavy (10) and will relish the firmer ground, drop back to 57kg and the extra distance all provided to them
- Need to handle a seven day back-up but proved they could when fourth in the MC after a Lexus Stakes win three days earlier in the spring
- Didn’t beat much last time out however so their victory there could be a bit overrated
#6 Blood Brotha ($10)
- Underrated last start, their first in Australia in a 49-start career, when running a slashing second to Tremec in the Chairman’s as a $100 roughie
- Will improve off that going up to the two miles and having had a run down under now
- Gets in well with the weights on 55.5kg which is the same they carried in the Chairman’s and the same weight Niwot won the Sydney Cup with 12 months ago
- Good gate three draw with Michael Rodd staying on
- Winner of the NZ Cup by 6.5 lengths last November over the 3200m which was their second win over the two miles from five starts
Whether you’re backing or sacking our Sydney Cup 2013 betting selections for this weekend make sure you place your bets online with bookmaker.com.au who were the first in Australia to offer punters the chance to Pick Your Own Odds!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.