Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The headliner in South Australia for this Saturday’s Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival meet will be the fillies and mares facing off in the Robert Sangster Stakes 2013– betting tips and exotic selections for which are detailed below.
Won 12 months ago by Peter Moody’s undefeated queen Black Caviar in her maiden Morphettville appearance, this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) has drawn another quality field of primarily interstate visitors.
Of the 12 horse field it is the Gerald Ryan-trained Group 1 The Galaxy runner-up Snitzerland who is the odds-on favourite in the Robert Sangster Stakes odds at a current quote of $1.55 and firming.
None of her rivals join her under double figures in the Robert Sangster Stakes betting markets with the next best fancied paying $10 – local mare Avoid Lightning.
It looks a wide open affair from there however with Platelet at $12 followed by three $13 chances in Moody’s RN Irwin Stakes winner Kulgrinda, young Victorian filly Shamal Wind and the Robbie Griffiths-trained Angelic Light.
Read on to see whether the Races.com.au team believes Snitzerland to be as unbeatable as her price suggests and which others in the mix to put into those exotics at bookmaker.com.au.
#3 Platelet ($12)
- Classy Melbourne based mare out to retain the flawless record of Victorian-trained fillies and mares in this race since it gained it’s Group 1 status in 2005
- Comes off two good runs this time in including her close second to Kulgrinda in the Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes (1100m) here on April 13
- Sure to have improved off that run
- Has the best Place Percentage of the field with 88.24% with just two runs from 15 resulting in a finish outside the top three
- Good record over the distance (6-3-1-0) and will appreciate seeing it for the first time this prep
- Will be finishing off strongly and barrier 11 shouldn’t be a worry as she’ll get back anyway
#10 Snitzerland ($1.55)
- Plenty to like about this favourite hence her firming odds-on price but just looks a little under price-wise for us
- Will get a gun run from barrier five
- Far easier class than what she’s faced of late including her second to Bel Sprinter who did something freakish in their 3.5 length Group 1 The Galaxy win at Rosehill last month
- Before that she won the Group 2 Challenge Stakes (1000m) by three lengths defeating top sprinters including the fourth placed Hay List
- Has had four Group 1 assignments but yet to win at elite level
- Does boast the highest Win Rate of the field with 53.85% and a strong place rate of 76.92%
- Best record over the distance with five wins and a second from nine attempts
- Is odds-on favourite and in from $1.60 to $1.55
#4 Avoid Lightning ($10)
- Jumps from last year’s winning barrier (3) and should get a clear run from there
- Second best Win (50%) and Place (83.33%) rates of the field
- One of the best records at the track (3-2-0-1)
- One of only three South Australian-trained mares in the race looking to break the hoodoo of the locals
- Never runs a bad race having finished top three in all five of her starts this summer – autumn prep
- Winner at Caulfield against a decent field in February
- RN Irwin Stakes third was close and the extra distance on Saturday could give her the advantage
Get behind our exclusive Robert Sangster Stakes tips or lock in your own selections now at bookmaker.com.au enjoying a bonus welcome bet valued up to a juicy $500 this autumn when you first deposit and quote the code BONUSBET!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.