This Saturday the final Sydney Autumn 2YO Triple Crown showdown will run at Randwick Racecourse as part of the Sydney Cup Day action with the Champagne Stakes 2013 – the Races.com.au’s exclusive betting tips and selections for which can be found below.
There are 14 two-year-olds engaged in this year’s edition of the $400,000 Group 1 Champagne Stakes, the mile feature to run as Randwick Race 5 at 2:55pm (AEST).
Heading the Champagne Stakes odds at a drifting price of $2.80 is the Peter Snowden-trained Guelph who has come up trumps with barrier six.
The talented Exceed And Excel filly was fourth to Overreach in the Golden Slipper two back before relishing a step up in distance to win the ATC Sires Produce last start in the ideal lead-up to this.
Following Guelph in the Champagne Stakes betting markets are then three other juveniles at single-figures with Todman Stakes winning colt Criterion ($6), previous Blue Diamond Stakes runner-up Fast ‘N’ Rocking ($6.50) and nicely-bred Magic Night Stakes winning filly Scandiva ($6.50) who bypassed the Slipper before returning for a nice second in the Sires Produce behind the favourite here.
Earlier we published an inside 2013 Champagne Stakes Form Guide Analysis and based on the facts and stats we uncovered there, below are our tips for the fifth on Sydney Cup Day.
#11 Guelph ($2.80)
- Deserved favourite and will take some beating as the rank horse here
- Snowden is an ace trainer of juveniles and this one is bred for big things
- Nice Golden Slipper fourth before blowing them away from gate 13 of 13 in the Sires Produce
- Should improve again here with a better barrier and getting up to the mile for the first time
- After the same double (ATC Sires Produce – Champagne Stakes) achieved last year by Pierro
- Double has been achieved by five before her in the past 10 years making the Sires Produce the top form line for this
- Barrier six draw is ideal as it has produced the equal highest number of previous Champagne Stakes winners with six including last year’s champ Pierro
- One of only two to have won at the track before (2-1-1-0)
- Third best Win Rate (50.55%)
- Favourties have a great recent record with four wins in the past decade, only one finishing out of the money in that time
- Fillies have also run well with three victories in the past 10 years
#12 Scandiva ($6.50)
- Showed her class with back-to-back wins earlier this prep including the Group 2 Magic Night Stakes (1200m) at Rosehill on March 30 when overcoming barrier 10 of 13
- Bypassed the Slipper but was back over the 1400m last start to run a good second behind Guelph in the Group 1 Sires Produce
- Should appreciate the step up to the mile and will be there to pounce if the favourite doesn’t
- Nicely-bred and has so far lived up to the breeding
- Has speed and will be right up there leading from gate five, if they give her too much of a gap could prove hard to run down
#1 Riocetto ($13)
- Adds nice value to the winning Champagne Stakes Trifecta
- Lightly-raced with just three starts but showed they were ready to step up with a huge five length win last Saturday
- That was in the Listed Fernhill Handicap over the same track and distance as the Champagne so can handle the mile and Randwick
- That was also run on a Heavy (9) so could just be a mudlark? If not will be up there again
- Drawn one outside the favourite so can get a nice trail from them; barrier seven equal best barrier winners-wise throughout the history of this race
- Only one to have won over the mile before
Like our Champagne Stakes tips 2013 and want to lock them in at the guaranteed best prices? Avoid the land-based bookmakers and head straight to bookmaker.com.au where you will also be eligible for a juicy $500 Bonus Welcome Bet as a new depositing customer!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change