After a nice Aussie debut two weeks ago Donna Logan’s New Zealand Derby winning filly Habibi is back on Doncaster Mile Day shooting for her maiden Group 1 win down under in the Australian Oaks 2013, but can the top fancy get the job done for favourite backers?
The Ekraar three-year-old goes into Saturday’s $550,000 Group 1 ATC Australian Oaks (2400m) at Royal Randwick on the back of some strong form having won six of her eight career starts to date.
Her biggest turf triumph was a win over the boys in the Group 1 NZ Derby (2400m) at Ellerslie on March 2 which earned her a trip to Sydney.
She debuted here on April 6 when finishing a good third behind Norzita and Longport in the Group 1 Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m) and gets back up to the 2400m on Saturday which will play to her staying strengths.
One of only two fillies in the field to have raced, and won, over the mile and a half before along with New Zealand Oaks winner More Than Sacred ($11) Habibi is the early $3 Australian Oaks betting favourite.
On paper she certainly looks the deserving favourite and the one to beat and below we take a look at the pros and cons on getting behind her to win the 2013 Australian Oaks and defeat a smart field including last Saturday’s Adrian Knox Stakes winner Royal Descent ($5) and last spring’s Crown Oaks champ Dear Demi ($5.50).
#2 Habibi – Horse Form
- Barrier: 3
- Jockey: Vinnie Colgan
- Trainer: Donna Logan
- Owners: Mrs H J Crofskey, Mr G P Crofskey, Mrs P A Mcintyre, Mr P J Crofskey
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Filly
- Breeding: by Ekraar from Danny Holiday
- Career: 8-6-0-2
- Win: 75%
- Place: 100%
- Last 6: 111313
- Prize Money: $517,924
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-1-0-0
- Current 2013 Australian Oaks Odds: $3
Yes – Habibi Will Win the Australian Oaks 2013
- Should get a gun run from gate three and her regular hoop from NZ Vinnie Colgan retains the ride
- Barrier three is one of the most successful in the race producing four previous winners and is the same barrier Habibi jumped from when third in the Vinery
- Deserving favourite and punters’ picks have a decent record in the past 10 years with three wins
- Form of 3YO New Zealand fillies usually stacks up in Sydney this time of year
- Six wins from eight starts so knows how to win
- Ran the perfect Oaks trial when third in the Vinery which produced last year’s winner Streama
- Gets back up to the mile and half here which is ideal
- One of only two to have won over the 2400m before having taking out the NZ Derby two back
- Boasts the best Win (75%) and Place (100%) rates of the field so statistically is the one to beat
No – Habibi Won’t be the 2013 Australian Oaks Winner
- Yet to race at Randwick which can be a notoriously tricky track for newcomers
- Faces New Zealand’s other top staying filly #5 More Than Sacred ($11) for the first time here
- Some smart fillies here including #3 Longport ($6) who beat her home by one in the Vinery
Whether you’re backing or sacking this year’s Australian Oaks betting favourite the best odds on all the Sydney Autumn Racing
Carnival features can be found online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $500 bonus autumn welcome bet offer!