A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
This Saturday Royal Randwick will light-up again for Doncaster Mile Day, one of the two Group 1 clashes on the card being the fillies-only Australian Oaks 2013, the Races.com.au’s insider form guide analysis and betting preview for which can be found below.
Due to run as Randwick Race 7 at 3:35pm (AEST) this year’s $550,000 Group 1 Patinack Farm Australian Oaks (2400m) is shaping up as an intriguing showdown with five of the 11 three-year-olds in the field currently under $10 in the betting markets.
Current Australian Oaks odds are led by New Zealand raider Habibi who pays $3 to win on Saturday following a smart Oaks trial in their Aussie debut when third to Norzita in the Group 1 Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m) at Rosehill on April 6.
That came 35 days after the Ekraar filly won the Group 1 NZ Derby (2400m) back home and the step back up to the mile and a half for the Oaks is sure to see them back to their best.
The other single-figure fancies out to upset the favourite are then last Saturday’s Adrian Knox Stakes winner Royal Descent ($5), the Clarry Conners-trained Dear Demi ($5.50), early market mover Longport ($6) who comes off a second in the Vinery and New Zealand Oaks champ More Than Sacred ($9.50).
So is Habibi the best Australian Oaks bet this weekend? Will one of the other top fancies beat home the Kiwi? Or is there a genuine blowout on the cards from the likes of a longer-priced hopeful such as Summerbliss ($13) or Gondokoro ($14)?
To help you back this year’s Australian Oaks winner we’ve gone over the field, form and betting history on this Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival classic to uncover the must know facts and where the value is out.
2013 Australian Oaks Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Australian Oaks winner was the Guy Walter-trained Streama who came off a second in the Vinery Stud Stakes, jumped from barrier six (of eight) and was ridden by Hugh Bowman
- This year Walter will vie for back-to-back wins with roughie chance #11 Zuccotto ($201) while Hugh Bowman will ride #7 Summerbliss ($13)
- Five Vinery Stud Stakes winners have gone on to contest the Oaks, two completing the double and it is the best form line for the Doncaster Day race
- Fillies that come via the Vinery this year meanwhile are #3 Longport (2nd), #2 Habibi (3rd), #8 Gondokoro (4th), #1 Dear Demi (5th), #7 Summerbliss (7th), #10 She’s A Girl (12th) and #6 Cameo (13th)
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) on Saturday belongs to #1 Dear Demi ($5.50), Streama the only Australian Oaks winner to jump from gate
- The most successful Australian Oaks barriers throughout history have been 1 and 5 which have both produced five winners; this year gates one and five belong to #10 She’s A Girl ($151) and #8 Gondokoro ($14) respectively
- There are two last-start winners in the mix meanwhile with #4 Royal Descent (Group 3 Adrian Knox Stakes, 2000m, Randwick, 13/04/2013) and #5 More Than Sacred (Group 1 New Zealand Oaks, 2400m, Trentham (NZ), 16/03/2013)
- #4 Royal Descent ($5) is out to become the third filly in a decade to complete the Adrian Knox Stakes – Australian Oaks double joining Republic Lass (2002) and Wild Iris (2004)
- The best Win Rate by far belongs to #2 Habibi (75%) followed by #4 Royal Descent (50.00%^) and #5 More Than Sacred (42.86%)
- #2 Habibi also boasts the highest Place Percentage with a perfect 100% followed again by #4 Royal Descent (83.33%) and then #7 Summerbliss (66.67%)
- Favourites have won three of the past 10 Oaks with 10 favourites saluting since 1983; this year’s favourite is #2 Habibi ($3)
- Horses that have won at the track before are #1 Dear Demi (6-1-1-1), #3 Longport (2-1-1-0) and #4 Royal Descent (1-1-0-0)
- Over the 2400m the only fillies with experience are the two Kiwi visitors with #2 Habibi (1-1-0-0) and #5 More Than Sacred (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Australian Oaks tips to be published shortly. Think you’ve already selected the winning trifecta and want to lock it in now at the guaranteed best price?
2013 Australian Oaks Field & Form Guide
Randwick Race 7 – 3:35pm (AEST) – 20/04/2013
|1.||DEAR DEMI||C E Conners||Jimmy Cassidy||6||56||3yoF||14||$66,479||19: 5 3 4||26.32%||63.16%||1×3105|
|2.||HABIBI||Ms D Logan||V A Colgan||3||56||3yoF||14||$64,741||8: 6 0 2||75.00%||100.00%||111313|
|3.||LONGPORT||John Thompson||Christian Reith||7||56||3yoF||14||$37,589||11: 3 3 1||27.27%||63.64%||4×8302|
|4.||ROYAL DESCENT||C J Waller||Nash Rawiller||9||56||3yoF||7||$37,422||6: 3 1 1||50.00%||83.33%||113421|
|5.||MORE THAN SACRED||A W Pike||L G Innes||2||56||3yoF||35||$26,390||7: 3 0 1||42.86%||57.14%||661311|
|6.||CAMEO||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||11||56||3yoF||14||$15,252||10: 3 0 0||30.00%||30.00%||6×5810|
|7.||SUMMERBLISS||M C Kent||Hugh Bowman||8||56||3yoF||14||$23,417||6: 1 1 2||16.67%||66.67%||23×437|
|8.||GONDOKORO||P G Carey||Rhys Mc Leod||5||56||3yoF||14||$7,161||10: 1 0 1||10.00%||20.00%||57×714|
|9.||WIND BENDER||C J Waller||Tommy Berry||4||56||3yoF||7||$5,784||8: 1 0 4||12.50%||62.50%||531375|
|10.||SHE’S A GIRL||R S Englebrecht||Nathan Berry||1||56||3yoF||14||$3,048||12: 1 0 3||8.33%||33.33%||541350|
|11.||ZUCCOTTO||G H Walter||Blake Shinn||10||56||3yoF||15||$1,655||11: 1 0 0||9.09%||9.09%||x40584|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.