Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
As one of the best gallopers in the country, it is not surprising Pierro has opened a $2.40 favourite for Saturday’s $2 million Group 1 2013 Doncaster Mile (1600m).
His form warrants the favouritism and there’s no denying his class.
Unbeaten in Sydney, Pierro has won 11 of 13 career starts and will chase a fourth consecutive win this weekend.
Drawn ideally in barrier four, the major obstacle to Pierro picking up a sixth Group 1 this weekend appears to be weight.
With 57kg on his back, Pierro will have to eclipse the metric weight-carrying record for three-year-olds, set by Tontonan in 1974.
So will this tough, classy colt justify his short price? Or will the weight be too much of a burden? Keep reading for all your key Pierro facts as well as a summation of his chances in Saturday’s big race!
- Barrier: 1
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: G Kolivos and Mrs D Kolivos
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Lonhro out of Miss Right Note
- Career: 13-11-1-1
- Win: 85%
- Win and Place: 100%
- Last 6: 123111
- Prize Money: $4,136,650
- Track: 3-3-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-1-0
- Current 2013 Australian Derby odds: $2.40
Why Pierro Can Win the 2013 Doncaster Mile
- Outstanding form, has won his last three starts
- Champion colt, won 11 of 13 starts
- Proven Group 1 winner, won five in the top grade including his last two
- Won proven lead-up the George Ryder at his last start
- Drawn ideally in barrier four
- Trainer Gai Waterhouse knows what it takes to win the race
- Unbeaten at the track
- Raced three times at the distance for two wins and a second
Why Pierro Can’t Win the 2013 Doncaster Mile
- 57kg, a big weight, will have to break metric weight-carrying record for a three-year-old
- No horse since Tontonan (1974) has won the Doncaster after winning the Golden Slipper the year before
So can Pierro do it? Or do you like something outside the favourite? Whoever you are backing, get great odds on Doncaster Day by visiting bookmaker.com.au.
At the Australian-owned bookie you can take advantage of sensational prices this autumn as well as a huge $500 bonus bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.