Chris Waller knows he is coming up against a “champion” in 2013 Doncaster Mile favourite Pierro but isn’t ready to concede defeat just yet.
And the leading Sydney trainer has given himself every chance of taking out the $2 million feature, accepting with four quality runners.
”It is an honour to have four runners in the race and they all come into it in good form,” Waller said.
Waller has won the top Sydney race twice, with Triple Honour (2008) and Rangirangdoo (2010).
But does he have the horse claim a third Doncaster title? Who are the gallopers charged with the task? Keep reading for a summary of the premier Sydney trainer’s Doncaster team.
#1 Shoot Out $15
- Last year’s runner-up
- Topweight, 58kg
- Five-time Group 1 winner
- Proven weight-for-age performer
- Four-time winner at the distance
- Four-time winner at the track
- Strong form, Chipping Norton winner and third in the George Ryder
#5 Danleigh $41
- Nine-year-old veteran of 60 starts
- Fairly high in the weights, 56kg
- Four-time Group 1 winner
- Reasonable lead-up form, 5337 since resuming in February
#12 Red Tracer $19
- Consistent mare yet to crack it at Group 1 level
- Strong form, coming off consecutive G1 seconds
- Winner of 10 of 26 starts and placed another 11 times
- Loves the wet, won 6/7 on slow or heavy tracks
- Well weighted with 53.5kg
#18 Sacred Falls 51
- Former New Zealand colt who turned heads with early career form
- Yet to win in Australia but was second in the Rosehill Guineas last start
- Group 1 winner at 1600m in New Zealand
- Gets in with the 53kg minimum
- Record of six wins from nine starts
Whether you like one from team Waller or any other Doncaster runner, get great odds by betting at bookmaker.com.au!
Doncaster Day is one of the most exciting of the year and this year you can give yours a $500 betting boost by signing up to bookmaker.com.au quoting the code BONUSBET today!