Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
It was previously thought to be a battle in two but a thrashing Australian Derby win on Saturday has many speculating that It’s A Dundeel could be the best colt in the land.
Even better than Pierro and All Too Hard.
Pierro has beaten It’s A Dundeel but over 1400m, well short of the New Zealander’s ideal distance, while the 3YO triple crown winner has never taken on All Too Hard.
Pierro beat All Too Hard as a two-year-old but the half-brother to Black Caviar had his measure twice at three during the spring.
With retirement looming for Pierro and All Too Hard, and possibly It’s A Dundeel as well, a clash between the three is unlikely to ever occur.
It’s A Dundeel will run in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) on Saturday week while All Too Hard heads the All Aged Stakes (1400m).
There is however a possibility Pierro will meet one of the two, depending how he comes through Saturday’s Doncaster Mile.
So who is the best? You decide! Keep reading for rundown of this trio of three-year-old turf superstars!
- Won 11 of 13 starts
- Two-year-old triple crown winner
- More than $4.1 million in prizemoney
- Five-time Group 1 winner
- Undefeated in Sydney
- Finished behind All Too Hard in both the Caulfield Guineas and Cox Plate
- Major victories include the Golden Slipper, Canterbury Stakes and the George Ryder Stakes
All Too Hard
- Winner of six of 11 starts
- Cox Plate runner-up at three
- Winner of more than $2 million prizemoney
- Ended Pierro’s unbeaten run in the Caulfield Guineas
- Triple Group 1 winner
- Major victories include Caulfield Guineas, CF Orr Stakes, Futurity Stakes
- Still unproven in Sydney, has won one of five in the harbour city
It’s A Dundeel
- Won eight of 11 starts
- Fifth ever winner of Sydney’s 3YO Triple Crown
- Finished fourth to Pierro in only clash, over 1400m in Hobartville Stakes
- Four-time Group 1 winner
- Unlike the other two is yet to beat the older horses at Group 1 level
- Major wins include Randwick Guineas, Rosehill Guineas and Australian Derby
You’ll have to wait another week to see It’s A Dundeel and All Too Hard but Pierro lines up this Saturday as a short-priced favourite in the Doncaster.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.