While most of the hype at Randwick on Saturday is about Black Caviar in the TJ Smith and It’s A Dundeel in the Derby, it is worth paying attention to the day’s major staying race, the Group 2 2013 Chairman’s Quality (2600m).
The race is a key lead-up to the 2013 Sydney Cup (3200m) which will take place on April 27 and the current favourite Julienas ($3.60) is also the top elect in Sydney Cup markets.
But the race is no done deal. Taking on the Gai Waterhouse-trained import are a number of quality stayers including Kris Lees’ import Hathras ($3.70) and Group 3 winner Mourayan ($7.50).
Permit ($9) is the only other runner under double figures but there are some quality stayers at big odds including Aliyana Tilde ($13), Vatuvei ($14) and Coliseo.
Not quite sure what punting direction you should take in the Chairman’s Quality? Let us help you! The Races.com.au form experts have been hard at to deliver you our very best Chairman’s Quality tips.
#2 Julienas $3.60
- Tough to look past the favourite here, in cracking form
- From the stable of Gai Waterhouse who always fires in the autumn
- In outstanding form, chasing a third straight win after winning back-to-back Listed races
- Deserving Sydney Cup favourite
- Will be ridden positively, makes his own luck
- Tough fighting stayer who should see out the distance
#4 Permit $9
- Gritty stayer coming off consecutive runner-up finishes
- The further the better with Permit
- Won this race last year
- Generally takes a while to reach his best and fourth-up and primed here
#6 Vatuvei $14
- Promising stayer from Peter Moody’s stable
- Moody has future Melbourne Cup plans with the four-year-old
- Yet to impress this prep but step up in distance will help
- Won at Group 2 level over 2500m in the spring
- Fourth-up and fit here
- Should lob into a good spot from the inside with Luke Nolen aboard