A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
The time-honoured 2013 Australian Derby (2400m) is nearly upon us, with 10 three-year-old stayers set to line up to compete for $1.5 million in prizemoney at Randwick on Saturday.
Black Caviar may be stealing the show in the TJ Smith but there are still plenty of people buzzing about Derby favourite It’s A Dundeel.
The classy New Zealand colt is a $1.25 favourite at bookmaker.com.au as he attempts to complete Sydney’s 3YO triple crown.
But his rivals won’t be dying wondering and will be ready to stick it to the favourite come race 7 at 3:50pm on Saturday.
In the field are:
- 10 runners
- Two last-start winners
- One Group 1 winner
- One Kiwi and nine Australian horses
- Two horses trained by Michael Kent and two by David Hayes
- One $1.25 favourite
- Two horses at $100 or more
- Five horses backing up after seven days, five coming off a two-week break
So while the betting suggests the Derby could be a forgone conclusion, is that really the case?
Will It’s A Dundeel prove to classy or can something salute at big odds?
Keep reading to make your Australian Derby betting easier with our comprehensive form guide and facts.
2013 Australian Derby Form Guide, Facts and Stats
- The only horse to have won at the track is It’s A Dundeel ($1.25), who is 2/2 from at the venue
- The only horse to have won at Group 1 level is It’s A Dundeel, a triple winner in the top grade
- Last year’s winner Ethiopia came via a second in the Alister Clark Stakes. Hvasstan ($17) and Philippi ($7) quinellad the Alister Clark.
- Murray Baker, trainer of It’s A Dundeel, is the only trainer with a runner who has won before (Nom Du Jeu,2008).
- Sydney queen Gai Waterhouse is yet to train a Derby winner, she has one runner with Hippopus ($15)
- Last year’s winning barrier was nine. Gerontius ($41) comes from that alley.
- Only two Derby-winning jockeys are riding. Jim Cassidy rides Bloodbuzz Ohio ($201) and Corey Brown Gerontius ($41).
- It’s A Dundeel has by far the best winning percentage with 70 %. Next best is Philippi (57%) from Hippopus (38%).
Got your Derby selections decided and keen to pick up the best prices? Head to bookmaker.com.au who are fully Australian-owned and have a massive $500 bonus bet available for new customers this autumn.
2013 Australian Derby Field and Form Guide
|1.||IT’S A DUNDEEL||M P Baker||James Mc Donald||8||56.5||3yoC||14||$110,091||10: 7 1 0||70.00%||80.00%||27×411|
|2.||HVASSTAN||Peter Gelagotis||Craig Newitt||7||56.5||3yoC||14||$41,216||11: 4 2 0||36.36%||54.55%||4×8417|
|3.||PHILIPPI||M C Kent||Luke Nolen||1||56.5||3yoC||7||$46,650||7: 4 1 0||57.14%||71.43%||1×4621|
|4.||SOLEMN||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||4||56.5||3yoC||7||$8,768||12: 2 1 0||16.67%||25.00%||1×7960|
|5.||HIPPOPUS||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||5||56.5||3yoC||7||$12,548||8: 3 3 0||37.50%||75.00%||452112|
|6.||BASS STRAIT||D A Hayes||Tommy Berry||2||56.5||3yoG||14||$7,525||8: 2 0 1||25.00%||37.50%||115554|
|7.||GERONTIUS||D A Hayes||Corey Brown||9||56.5||3yoG||7||$6,211||9: 2 1 2||22.22%||55.56%||0x9145|
|8.||KINGDOMS||J A O’shea||Michael Rodd||10||56.5||3yoC||14||$10,656||5: 1 1 0||20.00%||40.00%||8×1264|
|9.||HIGH SHOT||M C Kent||Craig Williams||6||56.5||3yoC||7||$5,680||5: 1 0 0||20.00%||20.00%||1×6868|
|10.||BLOODBUZZ OHIO||Troy Portelli||Jimmy Cassidy||3||56.5||3yoG||14||$4,408||6: 1 1 0||16.67%||33.33%||20×175|
*Form Guide Credit – Sportsbet.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.