It’s one of the most prestigious races on the calendar and there will be plenty of eyes on race 7 at Randwick on Saturday when 10 three-year-olds contest the $1.5 million Group 1 2013 Australian Derby (2400m).
New Zealand colt It’s A Dundeel is the raging favourite at $1.25 after producing outstanding lead-up form but there remains a slight query over his ability at the 2400m trip.
His main challenger appears to be Victorian colt Philippi ($7) who is backing up seven days after winning the Group 2 Tulloch Stakes and is the only other runner under double figures.
Also in the Australian Derby market are Tulloch runner-up Hippopus ($15), Alister Clark Stakes winner Hvasstan ($17) and the Darley-owned Solemn ($34).
Can’t work out who to back in the time-honoured staying test? Keep reading for the expert selections from the team at Races.com.au.
#1 It’s A Dundeel $1.25
- Minor query at the distance but deserves his price
- 70% winning strike rate
- Triple Group 1 winner
- Has won both the Randwick Guineas and Rosehill Guineas in the lead-up
- Two from two at the track
- Great relationship with jockey James McDonald, has ridden him in all 10 career starts
- Been set for the race
- Trainer Murray Baker has won the race before
#3 Philippi $7
- Four time winner from seven starts, only missed a top-three finish twice
- Been set for the race for a long time
- Coming off a dominant three-length win in the Tulloch Stakes
- Finished strongly suggesting he will appreciate rise in distance
- Should slot into a good position from barrier one with Luke Nolen aboard
#8 Kingdoms $51
- Emerging stayer who will appreciate rise in distance
- Was solid when fourth in the Rosehill Guineas
- Bred to stay and seems to be able to relax in races
- Looks a strong place chance at massive odds
Whether you agree with our Derby selections or not, visit bookmaker.com.au to get great odds on your Derby Day picks.
There has never been a better time to join the Australian-owned bookie as they are offering a massive $500 bonus bet as an autumn special to new customers!