Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
It’s one of the most prestigious races on the calendar and there will be plenty of eyes on race 7 at Randwick on Saturday when 10 three-year-olds contest the $1.5 million Group 1 2013 Australian Derby (2400m).
New Zealand colt It’s A Dundeel is the raging favourite at $1.25 after producing outstanding lead-up form but there remains a slight query over his ability at the 2400m trip.
His main challenger appears to be Victorian colt Philippi ($7) who is backing up seven days after winning the Group 2 Tulloch Stakes and is the only other runner under double figures.
Also in the Australian Derby market are Tulloch runner-up Hippopus ($15), Alister Clark Stakes winner Hvasstan ($17) and the Darley-owned Solemn ($34).
Can’t work out who to back in the time-honoured staying test? Keep reading for the expert selections from the team at Races.com.au.
#1 It’s A Dundeel $1.25
- Minor query at the distance but deserves his price
- 70% winning strike rate
- Triple Group 1 winner
- Has won both the Randwick Guineas and Rosehill Guineas in the lead-up
- Two from two at the track
- Great relationship with jockey James McDonald, has ridden him in all 10 career starts
- Been set for the race
- Trainer Murray Baker has won the race before
#3 Philippi $7
- Four time winner from seven starts, only missed a top-three finish twice
- Been set for the race for a long time
- Coming off a dominant three-length win in the Tulloch Stakes
- Finished strongly suggesting he will appreciate rise in distance
- Should slot into a good position from barrier one with Luke Nolen aboard
#8 Kingdoms $51
- Emerging stayer who will appreciate rise in distance
- Was solid when fourth in the Rosehill Guineas
- Bred to stay and seems to be able to relax in races
- Looks a strong place chance at massive odds
Whether you agree with our Derby selections or not, visit bookmaker.com.au to get great odds on your Derby Day picks.
There has never been a better time to join the Australian-owned bookie as they are offering a massive $500 bonus bet as an autumn special to new customers!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.