As far as the market is concerned, Victorian colt Philippi is the only horse given a chance of upsetting It’s A Dundeel in Saturday’s Group 1 2013 Australian Derby (2400m) at Randwick.
The Michael Kent-trained colt has been targeted at the race all preparation and he is certainly hitting his straps at the right time.
The $7 chance at bookmaker.com.au was powerful in the finish on Saturday in the Group 2 Tulloch Stakes and if he can repeat that performance with a step up in distance he’ll be right in the mix this weekend.
Trainer Michael Kent is far from conceding defeat to odds-on favourite It’s A Dundeel and was impressed with what he saw last weekend.
“He may not have beaten much yesterday, but he ran through the line well. We’re keen to see him over a mile and a half,” Kent said.
So can Philippi handle the rise in class and distance and defeat the classy favourite? Or will it be too much of an ask? The key stats about the Derby second favourite can be found below and we also weight up the pros and cons about his chances.
#3 Philippi – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 1
- Jockey: Luke Nolen
- Trainer: Michael Kent
- Owners: Gilgai Farm
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Host out of Soorena
- Career: 7-4-1-0
- Win: 57%
- Win and Place: 71%
- Last 6: 114621
- Prize Money: $326,550
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2013 Australian Derby odds: $7
Why Philippi Can Win the 2013 Australian Derby
- In good form, coming off a strong three-length win in the Tulloch Stakes
- Has won four of seven, great strike rate
- Set for the race a long time ago
- Should be able to lob into a good position from the inside barrier with Luke Nolen aboard
- Finished off 2000m race like 2400m will be no problem
Why Philippi Can’t Win the 2013 Australian Derby
- Short turnaround, stepping up to 2400m just seven days after Tulloch win
- Is he in the same class as It’s A Dundeel?
- Yet to be tested at Group 1 level