High quality mare Prompt Response is in the mix...
With the wet weather in Sydney playing havoc to the track conditions at Rosehill Gardens for Golden Slipper Day 2013 the team at Races.com.au have gone over the form and pedigree of the 16 promising two-year-olds in the mix for the day’s marquee event, the $3.5 million Group 1 Golden Slipper (1200m), to uncover where the value is at in the mud!
Running as Rosehill Race 7 at 4:00pm (AEST) the 2013 Golden Slipper is the richest race of its kind in the world and there are now three single-figure fancies in the bookmaker.com.au markets for the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival classic.
Originally the talented Gai Waterhouse-trained filly Overreach was nearing odds-on territory in the Golden Slipper odds at an opening quote of $2.15 having won both of her lead-up runs by big margins in Sydney including the Group 2 Reisling Stakes at the track and distance last time out.
She may have the class and speed but with the current Slow (7) track, the chance of more rain before Slipper time and the fact she has drawn the inside alley where it is likely to be very choppy by then her price is easing.
Overreach is now right out to $3 in the Golden Slipper markets and the punters are coming for her stablemate Sweet Idea.
Due to be ridden by former Golden Slipper winning jockey Jim Cassidy (Ha Ha, 2001), has been well-backed as the Snitzel filly won the Group 2 Silver Slipper Stakes (1100m) – the same race that produced last year’s champion Pierro – last start on a Heavy (9) track.
The other horse now under $10 is then the Peter Snowden-trained Sidestep ($9) who comes off a victory in the Group 2 Pago Pago Stakes (1200m) and who should handle the wet track as their mother Dextrous is by Quest For Fame who is a noted sire of mudlarks.
The Exceed And Excel colt is also a three-quarter brother to two wet track winners in Skilled and Ambidexter further enhancing their claims for today.
So are these three really the ones to get behind in your Golden Slipper wet track bets? Or is their value to be found with some of the double-figure chances with some sneaky mud stats in their background?
Best Golden Slipper Wet Track Tips
#13 Sweet Idea ($8)
- Punters are already clued onto Sweet Idea as she is the big market mover right into $8 after being as long as $14 earlier in the week
- Drawn just off the rails in barrier four so should be able to avoid the chop
- Former Golden Slipper winning jockey Jim Cassidy brings experience
- Only starter in the race with a wet track win on her record when taking out the Group 2 Silver Slipper Stakes (1100m) here last month on a Heavy (9)
- Silver Slipper Stakes also won by her stablemate Pierro ahead of his Slipper success last autumn
- Breeding further improves her claims as Sweet Idea’s sire Snitzel has had 68 wet track winners from 346 starters giving them a nice strike rate of 16.8%
#1 Criterion ($11)
- Another market mover getting a bit of love as the dark skies grow over Rosehill
- David Payne’s Sebring colt comes off a Group 2 Todman Stakes win at the track and distance and won the Black Opal in Canberra before that
- Their sire Sebring won the Golden Slipper on a Heavy track in 2008
- Also related to Varenna Miss and Silently who were both notable wet track winners
- His dam Mica’s Pride is by Bite The Bullet who sired many good mudlarks
#8 Charlie Boy ($26)
- Adds nice value to the Golden Slipper exotics
- Will be able to stay out of trouble in their wide gate 12 starting position
- Ran third in the Silver Slipper Stakes in the mud behind Sweet Idea beaten 2.5 lengths and finished off better than a number of other Slipper hopefuls there including the fourth-placed I’m All The Talk who is at a shorter price of $19 for today
- Also fourth last time out in the Todman behind Criterion which was a credible performance
- Their sire Myboycharlie has hand one wet tracker winner from four starters
To lock in these Slipper hopefuls, or any others you fancy for the win, at the best prices visit our No. 1 recommended bookie bookmaker.com.au who are offering the best odds on all the Rosehill races today.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.