A quality field of three-year-old fillies are engaged to face off in Saturday’s 2013 Vinery Stud Stakes at Rosehill Gardens and to help you pick the winning filly in the Golden Slipper Day showdown below the Races.com.au team has made their inside tips public knowledge.
The first of five Group 1 features on the program the $400,000 Group 1 Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m) is scheduled to jump at 1:55pm (AEST) as Rosehill Race 4.
Fifteen fillies are accepted for this year’s race with the Vinery Stud Stakes odds led by Bart Cummings’ easing favourite Norzita out from $2.60 to $2.80.
The daughter of Thorn Park capped off a stellar spring last season with an easy two and a half length win in the Group 1 Flight Stakes (1600m) at Randwick.
This time in she’s run first, second and third respectively in her three starts the most recent of which was a close finish behind Appearance and Red Tracer in the Group 1 Coolmore Classic (1500m).
But with Rosehill downgraded to within the Heavy range ahead of Saturday’s major meeting is Norzita still the filly to beat in the Vinery?
With no market movers in the race prices are easing on all the top chances including New Zealand Derby winner Habibi ($4.40 out to $4.60) and the Clarry Conners-trained Dear Demi ($4.80 to $5).
So will one of these single-figure fancies take out the race or is there a boil-over on the cards with a longer priced outsider such as former Magic Millions Classic winner Driefontein ($16) or last-start Moonee Valley victor You’re So Good ($14)?
#1 Norzita ($2.80)
- She hasn’t seen a Heavy track before but has a win on Slow ground as a juvenile
- If she handles the wet she wins simple as that
- Good mid-field draw away from the chop but not too much to cover
- Group 1 winner in the spring in Sydney so has class
- Sees the 2000m for the first time but so does the bulk of these and she looks ready for it
- Drops back to her own age after taking on the older mares in the Group 1 Coolmore last time out coming within a longneck of Appearance and Red Tracer who face off in Saturday’s Queen Of The Turf
- Loves Rosehill (3-1-1-1)
#2 Dear Demi ($5)
- Has won her sole start on a Heavy track as a two-year-old this time last year in a Randwick black type
- Outclassed last start when 11th to Appearance, running in Saturday’s Queen Of The Turf Stakes, in the Coomlore Classic – willing to forgive
- Before that was in ace form and won the Surround Stakes at Warwick Farm
- Group 1 winner of the Crown Oaks over 2500m during the spring so distance no issue
- Has the extreme outside barrier (15) to overcome so needs to be at her best
#6 Alzora ($21)
- Handles a Heavy track with two minor placings in the mud
- Fourth in the Alexandra Stakes last start wasn’t bad and improvement will come getting up in distance
- Winner of The Vanity in February first-up beating Alexandra Stakes winner You’re So Good
- Meets You’re So Good 2.5kg better here than last start
- Nice gate five draw with James McDonald to ride
- Winner over the distance previously when taking out the Listed Ethereal Stakes in Melbourne last October
To lock in our Vinery Stud Stakes trifecta tip, or your own selections, at the best prices this weekend head to bookmaker.com.au and enjoy betting with the online bookie rewarding new customers with a $500 bonus bet this autumn!