As part of the top racing action of Golden Slipper Day this weekend a crack field of staying types are gearing up for a super 2013 The BMW showdown, the Races.com.au team’s insider tips and betting selections for which are detailed below.
There are 12 eager gallopers engaged in the field for this year’s $2.25 million Group 1 The BMW (2400m) which will light up Rosehill Gardens as Race 5 at 2:35pm (AEST).
Current favourite in The BMW betting odds is young gun Fiveandahalfstar who has eased out to $3.20 to become a dual Group 1 winner following their spring win in the Victoria Derby.
The distance suits Anthony Cummings’ three-year-old but the rain might not, and there are three other single-figure fancies in The BMW markets.
Also under $10 to take out this year’s race are last start Ranvet Stakes winner Foreteller ($6.50), the Hawkes-trained Maluckyday ($7.50), and the progressive Hathras ($7.50) in their first ever stakes race.
So are these the horses you should lock in for The BMW win and exotics? Or is there more value to be had backing one of the nice smokeys in the feature such as the Chris Waller-trained Kelinni ($10), the talented Kiwi raider Sangster ($15) or major market mover Le Roi ($19)?
#8 Sangster ($15)
- Victoria Derby winner two years ago
- Can handle this distance and all conditions
- If the track is Heavy they are well suited having won two from three in the mud
- Really nice price based on their seventh in the Ranvet where they were beaten by a similar field
- Expect improvement on a softer track over more distance
- First run down under for the season then and will be back in the swing second time round
- Came off an Auckland Cup victory over the two miles the start before
- The Cup was a beauty and the drop back from 3200m to 2000m explains their Ranvet finish
- Before that won a Group 2 in NZ over the mile and a half which they get again on Saturday
- Got really far back in the Ranvet and should get a better run from barrier three here
#1 Foreteller ($6.50)
- Few queries about the young favourite against the older horses and think this six-year-old has found their form
- Won the Ranvet Stakes last start beating many of these
- Last year’s The BMW winner Manighar also won the Ranvet in the lead-up
- Jim Cassidy rides again and Waller has an awesome record during the carnival
- Geldings have won eight of the past 10 The BMWs so is the right sex
- Loves the track with a trio of wins from five starts at Rosehill
#12 Fiveandahalfstar ($3.20)
- Proven over the distance but that was against their own age and need to handle the open-age field here
- Four second place finishes on the trot this time in, have they forgotten how to win?
- Last two races were at Group 1 level and very close
- Gets more distance here so that will either see them catch them or get beaten by more
- Won at Rosehill over 1800m during the spring
- Gate six is the same barrier Manighar won from last year
- Weight-for-age should suit
- 3YO’s have a good record in The BMW with 10 wins since 1977
Roughie We Like
#9 Le Roi ($19)
- Exciting import that is one of the unknowns here
- The big market mover having been backed in from $26 to $19
- Five wins from seven starts down under for Tony McEvoy
- Best was the Group 3 Summer Cup over the 2400m at Rosehill – which they get again on Saturday – last boxing day
- First-up third to Sydney Cup favourite Julienas in the Sky High Stakes (1900m) here last time out
- Will have improvement off that
- Won second-up last time in
Like our The BMW betting selections and want to back them at the best prices? Head along to our preferred online bookie bookmaker.com.au who is offering up all the hottest autumn odds this Golden Slipper Day!
Bookmaker.com.au also has the season’s premier welcome bet offer matching first-time customer’s first deposit dollar for dollar up to $500 this autumn!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change